View Single Post
Old 06-03-2004, 07:24 PM   #172
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
As the day had dragged on, it’s luminous and vibrant course swirling melodiously into what seemed to be a vague dusk, but was actually still day, not long after the noon and the sun’s zenith in the unclouded sky. Osric, scratching at his beleaguered forehead, studded with rough marks and creased with wizened wrinkles, got to his feet slowly, proceeding as swiftly as he could behind Liornung and Maercwen. He followed with whatever quickness he could muster, flinging his stiff leg along like the limp limb of a mannequin, flailing behind and before him until he found himself being unconsciously devoured by a small crowd that had flooded around the visage of a young man, looking pleased, but sobered up in a unknown fashion, as he and the crowd that trailed him moved towards the inn. When Hearpwine (for Osric knew the figure to be Hearpwine now) had neared the narrow threshold and saw Osric limping towards him, he smiled solemnly as his eyes twinkled, and extended his arms to greet the aged fellow.

“Good Osric,” he cried, most vigorously, “I have good news from the Golden Hall!” Osric nodded; his hand ready and up. “I know, young friend,” he said slowly, deliberating over each word that passed over and out from his moving lips, “I have heard. My ears are old, not deaf to the songs of Edoras.” Hearpwine seemed somewhat confused, as the words of Osric held an air of incredulousness, and unusually prompt for the man. He looked as if he was about to speak but, severing his words with words even more deliberated and contemplated over, Osric continued.

“Master Hearpwine,” he began, lowering his head and turning as all the figures moved into the warm and abundant cheer of the inn’s atmosphere, “I, like Maercwen here, have not known you long, but you stirred something in this old warrior that he hadn’t felt for many years. I want to thank you, at least, for that service to my stony soul. You must promise me, Hearpwine, that, before you leave you shall sing a song to this inn to remember you by. When in Ithilien, the voice can linger here, and I’ll be proud to say to those who cross the threshold of the White Horse that I knew Hearpwine, Bard of Ithilien and Rohan, and a great man. I wish now that I’d met you years ago, when the light of hope dwindled in me when the black serpent bore Theoden Thengal to his death in the confines of Rammas Echor, but now my heart is rekindled, lad! You and Master Liornung gave me something that you’ve given to many, and I thank you heartily for it.” He finished on a more jocund note, turning, and clasping Hearpwine’s hand and arm firmly, shaking it where he stood and smiling, a featured gesture which the bard and poet soon returned.

“But, no more talk of parting!” cried Osric, with a severe suddenness that nearly caused the gathered to jump in their places after the old horsemasters solemn but jocund reverie, “Mae is right, let us feast and let us drink and you, m’lad, you may serenade the throngs of Rohan here in the Horse. It may be naught compared to the scathing critique of Lord Eomer and Lady Eowyn, but it is still a grand thing to hear you, where e’er it might be, eh? Come, and give us a rousing verse for your gathered base of followers!”