View Single Post
Old 06-23-2008, 08:50 AM   #99
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot, crispy nice hobbit View Post
It's nothing personal, but I find it ironic that you should call the modern process of chicken rearing cruel, whereas attribute absolute dominating evil power to the Ring. Nobody really likes the idea of eating cruelly tortured chicken flesh, but then nobody likes the idea of soaring chicken meat prices either. (With that pretty much everything which comes with inflation of commodity prices)
Your use of the term 'ironic' does not apply to what you are saying. I find no incongruity in my statements; therefore to imply irony is in error. It seems you are saying you condone cruelty and torture when it is expedient to do so. To each his own, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot, crispy nice hobbit View Post
On the other hand, the individuals that you mentioned, (Boromir, Bilbo, Frodo) clearly had a choice in claiming the Ring for themselves, failed to resist and yet epitomized heroism and triumph of ideals. (Frodo's utterance:"On Mount Doom, doom shall fall" sounds pretty cryptic... does that mean that he's telling Sam his going to fail?)
Again, either you are simply arguing for arguments sake, or you really do not grasp the concepts of Tolkien's work. Boromir repented of his misdeed, and gained forgiveness through repentance (an integral part of Catholic doctrine). Bilbo? I am not sure exactly where he failed to resist, can you? It was difficult for him to surrender the Ring, but he did so (and with Sam as another example, giving up the Ring of one's own free will must have been a harrowing experience). Frodo? Yes he did fail, didn't he? I believe I've stated that on several occasions, but since you fail to comprehend the mitigating circumstances surrounding his ordeal, then this conversation is irredeemable. I will repost a quote from Tolkien and then refrain from further posting in this thread (unless of course you have an epiphany or someone adds something worthwhile):

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R Tolkien, Letter #181
But at this point the 'salvation' of the world and Frodo's own 'salvation' is achieved by his previous pity and forgiveness of injury. At any point any prudent person would have told Frodo that Gollum would certainly betray him, and could rob him in the end. To 'pity' him, to forbear to kill him, was a piece of folly, or a mystical belief in the ultimate value-in-itself of pity and generosity even if disastrous in the world of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.R Tolkien, Letter #181
Besides, madness (i.e. the mad Gollum) pretty much absolved his guilt in snatching the Ring, doesn't it?

"I pleeeead inssssaaanniityyy...." - Gollum
No, he was not absolved because he died unrepentant (again, a Catholic doctrine that Tolkien would adhere to).