View Single Post
Old 09-01-2006, 10:09 AM   #149
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauce
There are elements of the perilous realm within Tolkien's writings - Old Man Willow and the Barrow Wight, for example - but overall it is sanitised. In particular, its "rulers" (Tom Bombadil, Alf the Prentice and Galadriel) are largely devoid of the tricksy, mischievous and sometimes immoral characteristics generally found in traditional Faerie beings.
Very true. At least for me, Galadriel is not terrifying. Jackson's pyrotechnics were horrifying, but that is a different matter.

Why do you think this difference exists between the malevolent aspects of Fairie and Tolkien's versions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
What, exactly, are these specifically Christian aspects of the story? Are they really there, or was Tolkien simply interpreting 'universal' symbols in his own work from a Christian perspective?
I wonder if it would help matters if you could give an example, davem, of a work which you consider to be a Christian work? What would in your eyes consitute a successful Christian work?