View Single Post
Old 01-25-2006, 08:56 PM   #14
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Thornden had introduced himself confidently and forthrightly. Eodwine liked that, and expected no less of a Guard from the Golden Hall.

"Indeed I do need a steward, but the man that I would take under me in such a stead must be willing to do more than keep my hall clear of unruly visitors, as needful as that may be from time to time. I need a right hand man. A man who can take my place when I cannot be here. A man to keep order of other men, and my ledgers, and to give orders in my name. Such a man must be my almbudsman as well, and take coin paid in fee and fine both honestly and justly. It is a high place in my hall. Are you worthy of it?"

Thornden's eyes had widened slightly as the job had become much greater than he had at first realized, but quickly regained his composure. He was about to speak when Eodwine stopped him with a raised hand.

"A moment, friend, for this is the very kind of thing I need you for, if you it be. Come with me." Eodwine nodded to the front door. Strangers were arriving faster than a mountain stream, it seemed. Særyn was busy with one of them, while another waited. Eodwine was quite glad that Særyn had taken it upon herself to act as hostess. He would have to speak more with her about that; the role seemed to come to her as easily as flight to a bird.

"Good morn, friend!" Eodwine approached the lad, Thornden at his flank. He was not quite a man but no mere boy by the look of him. "I am Eodwine of the Gap, Eorl of Middle Emnet and host of this hall. How are you called, and how may I host you?"

"I am called Léofric, lord, and I came hoping to earn my keep if that can be."

"I see. Can you do wood work? cleaning? stabling? guarding?"