View Single Post
Old 02-13-2007, 11:52 AM   #10
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil
I called the Silmarils ‘characters’, and in a sense I think that they do have that function in the book. But their role as such is not as clear, I think, as the role of the Ring as a character in LotR. The Silmarils and the Ring are interesting to compare; both are objects of great power, the desire for which causes people to commit misdeeds. But it strikes me that the Silmarils are much more passive. Whereas the Ring has desires of its own and has real agential force in bringing those desires about, the Silmarils appear to have no will, only power. Does anyone else see a connection or contrast between the Silmarils and the Ring?
Yes, I wish I had my book at hand, as I seem to recall it saying that the Silmarils had life in them. They're are also similarities between the ring making era and the setting in which the Silmarils came about, though not I don't believe that is the sort of response you are looking for. The Silmarils were created at a time when the Noldor had been learning their skill and art from Melkor. And yet Feanor went off alone and created them. The rings were created at a time when the Noldor had been learning their skill and art from Sauron, and yet Feanor's grandson, Celebrimbor, went off and created the elven set of rings, secretly.

Aiwendil, I too have made the connection between Feanor and the imperishable flame. It is also worth noting that both Feanor and Melkor are described in terms of flame or fire. While Melkor seems to be obsessed with the lack of it, Feanor possibly has too much? At any rate, I do wonder is this might have something to do with Melkor's antipathy toward the elf.

It is also surprising how the art of the elves appears to surpass that of the Valar. I believe it is mentioned in this chapter or the last, regarding the quality of gems created. But alas, I have not my book. And Feanor in particular seems to blurr the distinction between, creator and created, and challange the role of supremacy.
Here is the quote I refered to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Of Feanor and the Unchaining of Melkor
...and he (Feanor) it was who, first of the Noldor, discovered how gems greater and brighter than those of the Earth might be made with skill.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 02-17-2007 at 07:09 PM. Reason: added quote
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote