View Single Post
Old 07-07-2002, 02:22 PM   #99
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

She marvelled, once again, at the minds of the men who had constructed this city. And the addition of the gift of the Dwarves, the wondrous new Great Gate, reinforced her opinion of it.

Pio had been to Minas Anor twice before, in earlier times, to do research in the vast library. She had never tarried long, and so had never seen most of the city. This would be a grand opportunity to drink deep of its richness.

Birdie turned the cart left at the Great Gate. The city was constructed on a hill with seven concentric walls protecting each part of the ascent. Gates through the walls were set in such a manner that the traveller had to pass back and forth between them in a weaving pattern to acces each level. It was indeed a well defensed city!

'Say, Bird!' said Pio, giving her a nudge in the back. 'I am getting a little thirsty back here. There's a small tavern just up the way where we can park the cart in the courtyard and sip some ale in the open air before we go on. What say we do that?' She rummaged through the small leather pouch at her waist, counting coins. 'I'll treat!'

The pony's hooves clattered over the cobblestones and the four travellers looked for sign of the tavern.

'There it is!' cried Levanto. 'And how fortuitous we should come to this one!' He winked at Pio.

She laughed, and entreated Bird to pull in there.

'So, this is a tavern.' said Kali, as he read the name on the swinging wooden placard:

*****THE SIGN OF THE MISCHIEVOUS MERMAN*****