View Single Post
Old 09-09-2016, 07:59 AM   #9
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots A Sampling of Potential Topics

Engaging in some mild extrapolation here, but Gondor has some parallels with Greco-Roman civilization and some distinct parallels with Byzantine (or later Roman) culture, a comparison of literary culture might be drawn.

The Greeks and Romans both developed rich literary traditions (indeed ours descends from theirs). There were, of course, variations in interest down through the centuries but from Herodotus and Thucydides on there was a keen interest in history. They both spawned generations of imitators or detractors down through the centuries. Then there were the lively philosophical debates (which in many instances were entwined with discussions of the physical sciences) to be replaced in later Roman times with theological debates. Up until approximately the Crisis of the Third Century and the changes to Roman society that wrough, poetry was very important, and it was still important even then. Additionally there were more specialized works on medicine, military tactics, rhetoric, travelogues (of a sort), even biographies.

While this literary culture was, of physical necessity, the largely the preserve of those with leisure, it very much existed and was thriving. In the eastern Roman Empire it never stopped thriving although in many respects it became increasingly impoverished as things in the East...went south. I think the Gondorians and perhaps the elves to some extent (although I imagine the elves to have more of an oral tradition) could be imagined to have a similar literary culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen
the main dwellings of the big hobbit families would have genealogies and perhaps other records but I guess the reading would more be reference than pleasure
There might also have been something akin to the Farmers' Almanac, as I can imagine something of that nature would have some value to a brusque, down-to-earth farming society.

Last edited by Kuruharan; 09-09-2016 at 01:27 PM.
Kuruharan is offline   Reply With Quote