View Single Post
Old 12-05-2014, 07:16 PM   #11
Tar-Jêx
Wight

Tar-Jêx has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigûr View Post

I hope you don't think I was trying to argue that it did, because it certainly wasn't my intention at any point to argue that Professor Tolkien's arguments supported the movement, just to try to elaborate or possibly develop what I think the author was struggling to say, without agreeing or disagreeing with them. Just so you know, I'm not trying to say the article was right, just try to see where it was coming from and what more substantial remarks it might have made.
Unfortunately, tone of voice cannot be heard through text, and so the way in which my statement could be read depends on how you initially interpret it. It was an agreement that the writer was trying to force their logic, and a criticism of the writer, rather than yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigûr View Post
In all honesty I'm not sure what the author was trying to do apart from tease out a tangential reason for BBC culture to ride the comet trail of the new Hobbit film.
It does seem that the writer was more focused on getting controversial views, rather than legitimate readers, and ride the Hobbit hype train to get publicity, which they have surely done. While they were trying to force logic, you are right in suggesting they just wanted to leech the Hobbit movies hype.
Tar-Jêx is offline   Reply With Quote