View Single Post
Old 11-15-2000, 12:08 PM   #21
musicman61

Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Newly Deceased
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
I've been reading UT and HoME since each published

My favourite and one I pick up and reread monthly (not the whole thing just various stories) is Unfinsihed Tales. It was a wonderful collection to begin the release of Tolkien's unpublished material and answered many questions that those who wander in Middle earth tend to have (the wizards, Numenor, the Palantiri...) It's hard to say one story is my favourite but the most poignant one I keep rereading is The disaster of the Gladden fields. It really is a pivotal concept: Isildur's reasons for keeping the ring and the reason it continued to exist in the history of Middle earth as it did. I found it so sad to think of his 4 sons surviving those terrible days only to have the eldest three lost in one day and due to their father's hubris. Shakespeare, or any greek tragedy could not weave a better tale. The added note about finding Saruman's discovery of Isildurs body was riviting.the stories in volume 12 were long awaited by me as they had been referred to since Carpenters publication of the letters.

</p>