View Single Post
Old 01-27-2004, 02:01 PM   #79
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Hilde,

You raised this question about a week ago:

Quote:
I am also wondering if they[SCs ]are aware of the Valar, since they have avoided men and elves. Perhaps they would think them foreign. Their ability to "wear" different forms, being reminscent of the Valar (on a very small scale, of course), I wonder if they would even see a bit of the that.
My guess is that most maenwaith know very little about the Valar, since they have spent their whole life in the Southlands (unlike Bird, for example). Perhaps only those who have extensive ties outside the clan (and these are mainly the baddies) would have heard of the Valar.

On a related note.... Perhaps the Eagle clan would have some stories about a Great Eagle who looks and acts suspiciously like Gwaihir, but would know him by a different name. But names like "Manwe" or "Varda" would mean nothing to Ráma.

I do think the clan has a respectful attitude towards their own ancestors and see them as offering some form of protection (though not as "gods"]. Like the Rohirrim, they might view death as a return to the "meeting tents of the ancestors".

Do you remember the tiny statues that Mithadan found in the marketplace of men with heads like beasts? I have a feeling that those might be representations of these venerated ancestors -- not beings to worship, but someone for whom one has respect. (Ráma may even keep one nearby for good luck!)

At some point, Aiwendil should come into the main storyline, and he does have the ability to change shapes. That is, if he ever regains his former skills!

If anyone else has any other ideas on this, just chime in....

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:03 PM January 27, 2004: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]