View Single Post
Old 02-25-2003, 04:47 PM   #1
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Shield Which member of the Fellowship could bear the Ring longest without being corrupted?

Ok. What if Frodo were killed, but the Ring "survived" in the hands of the Fellowship. Who do you think would be the best bearer? I don't have a set opinion, more of an opinion about each one. (I am sorry, I think I've seen a thread like this somewhere, but I couldn't find it.)

Sam- He should be pretty good, but you can never tell. From the short period when he was Ringbearer, you could see that he did a good job. However, I see three problems here: A. It siad something like that Sam would have had a hard time fighting with Gollum when he caught him, probably meaning he'd be an unlooked- for tender Smeagol- meal. B. If he did manage to catch Gollum, he would kill him right away, leaving nobody to bite off his finger at the Cracks of Doom. C. He never did get along with Faramir, and irritated him, so I somehow don't think he'd be allowed to keep on his way to Morodor.

Merry or Pippin: They are nice people- errr, hobbits- but they would probably friek out at some point, or submit to the Ring's power, though somehow I can't imagine it in my head. But then, I have a limited imagination. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Boromir- Wow, best choice. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

Gandalf- As he said, too powerful. But at least things would be better off for a while...Well...Maybe not.

Aragorn- definitely better than many, but really, he would probably get tempted after a while. Better than Boromir though! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Gimli- there is a thread on this somewhere, and, as somebody there said, he would probably rely too much on himself, would certainly would scorn the help of any Elves, no matter how helpful it might be, and would get eaten up with want of mithril and precious gems and stay in Moria, probabaly finally getting killed by the Orcs or the Balrog or the Watcher in the Water.

Legolas- I think he wouldn't be bad at all. Other than Hobbits, Elves would probably hold out for longer than most others, and resist the Ring for as long as possible. (eg- Galadriel, and Elrond when he was healing Frodo, he had the chance, and also it said somewhere that the Ring had been put on a new chain while Frodo was in Rivendell- an Elf would have had to have done that.) Still, I wouldn't know, because Galadriel was a High Elf, after all, and a Grey Elf might not be able to resist as well.

I don't know, really. What do you people think?