View Single Post
Old 09-30-2003, 04:40 PM   #25
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Quote:
But it is in ROTK, in one of the appendixes, were it is said that Galadriel threw down the walls and laid bare the pits of Dol Guldur...
This makes it sound like Galadriel single-handedly conquered Dol Guldor, which would indeed make her pretty mighty. But just to put it into context, this was after an army of Elves from Lothlorien, led by Celeborn, had captured the citadel. Also, it came after Sauron's defeat following the destruction of the Ring, and so the forces holding the citadel would no doubt have been in disarray:

Quote:
... and when the Shadow passed, Celeborn came forth and led the host of Lorien over Anduin in many boats. They took Dol Guldor, and Galadriel threw down the walls and laid bare its pits, and the forest was cleansed.
Galadriel is here placed once again in the healing, rather than the conquering, role. It was Celeborn and his army that did the conquering.

Presumably, the powers of Nenya would no longer have been available to Galadriel to enhance her healing talents at this stage since, as I understand it, the Three Elven Rings lost their powers when the One Ring was destroyed. Or did they perhaps retain some residual power for some time after its destruction?

Edit: Lost One, you seem to have anticipated my question. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] So, are you saying that Galadriel would not have been able to throw down the walls of the citadel without Nenya's power?

[ September 30, 2003: Message edited by: The Saucepan Man ]