View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 04:22 PM   #289
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Child of the 7th Age: Post for Aiwendil

Aiwendil had spent a long time with the women, explaining how they and their little ones must stay calm and not wander off by themselves in case any of the slavers happened to be lurking nearby. Most importantly, everyone must try to keep their children quiet. The istar gave each of the mothers a few drops of a heady brew he had concocted early that morning. With just one good whiff or a tiny draught placed on the tongue, the child should fall into an immediate slumber.

Aiwendil had reassured the women that he and Rôg would be standing guard outside the grove to dissuade any would be attackers. Most of the women looked pale and wan, while the children clung fiercely to their mothers' skrts. After Aiwendil had finished speaking, one old grandmother approached leading a small flock of children : two girls and a boy. The twin girls were about seven; the boy no more than four. He squalled miserably the whole time the two of them were speaking. The old man ignored the loud caterwauls and, taking the girls by the hand, picked up the boy and headed over to where Rôg was still talking with the older children. He whispered a few words of warning in his friend's ear, and then beckoned for Azhar to join him.

"I've a favor to ask," Aiwendil confided. "There is no one to care for these little ones. Their mother is fighting on the far side of camp. The other mothers and even the grannys have their hands full and can't look after any more. I would be grateful if you could help, just till the fighting has ended. Keep a close eye on the three of them and make sure they don't wander off. "

For a long time, Azhar looked warily back, saying nothing.

Tevildo's post

Not this.....anything but this. Maybe I should have gone with Kwell.

Azhar stared down at the ground, biting her tongue to keep from blurting out what she really thought of Aiwendil's suggestion. She hated children. Well,....maybe "hate" was too strong a word, but taking care of children was definitely not something that Azhar wanted to do. Unlike many of the other girls on the plantation, she had never been put to work tending the babies while the mothers went out to do their work in the fields. She had always managed to avoid such duties. Azhar wasn't about to admit it to herself, but she had so little experience with children that they almost scared her. Yet now she was to be stuck with a brood of three in the middle of a field of battle.

"Out loud, she merely mumbled to the old man, "I don't know how good I'll be at this. Maybe you could get someone else?"

"No, no, you'll be fine," he affectionately reached out to pat the girl's shoulder. "The other mothers will help you. Just don't let the little ones wander. Rôg and I will be nearby. We'll keep an eye on everything."

"But what if someone comes?" Azhar objected in a nervous voice. "Couldn't you at least loan me a dagger like the ones you gave some of the boys? Or maybe I could borrow one of the boys's slings. I know how to use that."

"If I had any more weapons, you'd have one," Aiwendil assured her. "But we're pitifully short. Stay close to the other women, Azhar, and keep those rocks you collected nearby. Some of the other women are armed with sticks and knives. If anything happens, they'll tell you what to do. And Rôg and I will be standing guard."

With a sigh, she knelt down and tried to speak with the three children. "What are your names?" she gently asked. Then she glanced back up at Aiwendil and spoke in a solemn voice, "I will do as you say. I give you my promise. I will keep these little ones safe." All the while, the little boy kept howling as if he would never stop.

Last edited by Tevildo; 12-01-2006 at 01:33 PM.