View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #8
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I thought the costumes etc were beautiful but I have never managed to sit through it all again. It just about worked in the cinema when it all washed over me but the CGI looks very dated now IMO. And the endless action scenes at the expense of character and plot bore me. But I am not the demographic they were aiming at.

I would have loved to see someone else try. I hate the idea that PJ is the only person who can interpret Tolkien. As a visual interpretation I much preferred the London version of the musical and the radio version has a hold on me that has endured twentyfive years.

I think McKellen is a lazy and mannered actor. He seems to be the same in everything these days and he always seemed to me to be Ian McKellen being Gandalf rather than just Gandalf. Vocally Peter Woodthorpe was incomparable as Gollum, visually Michel Therriault was superb without CGI. Some of Jackson's casting was great even if the actors were not as described in the books
but these two I could do without.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote