Thread: Password
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 05:44 AM   #4376
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Okay, 'Pan-Dora' means 'all-gift', so the closest name that actually exists in Middle-earth would be ANNATAR, 'Lord of Gifts'.

Is there another Pandora? There's a handful of real people with the name, but none jump out as significant. Google wants to direct me to a jewellery company. It's the moon in Avatar, which might be a living thing; you could go from 'a moon' to AMON, but which of the many hills? There's no Amon Infilm or Amon Byjamescameron that I know of.

(It's also a moon of Saturn, but again...)

A couple of computer game characters, an Anne Rice vampire, genera of fungi and clams... there really is nothing leaping out.

Could it be a straight anagram? That 'quoth' looks like a keyword hinting something. But there's no Middle-earth names which start with A and come close to having the right letters, other than Andy Roper. AND' ROPA, then? Or Rowlie APPLEDORE sounds vaguely similar, but seems to have never left Bree.

Okay, so probably not an anagram... 'quoth' makes me think of Poe, and 'quoth the Raven, Nevermore'. ARAVORN is a chieftain of the Dunedain who almost has a raven in his name (and the difference could be a combination of 'raven' and 'urn', for Pandora's jar), and was I guess a theoretical wanderer... but that's a pretty weak justification.

We're going to be kicking ourselves over this one, aren't we?

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote