View Single Post
Old 01-03-2003, 06:08 AM   #12
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

FG-T-13
... and marvelling at the stature and gaunt limbs of Tuor, {his heavy spear barbed with fish bone and} his great harp
I see now that "his heavy spear barbed with fish bone" must be deleted. From Tuor, describing Turor and Voronwë's setting out:
Tuor took with him the small bow and arrows that he had brought, beside the gear that he had taken from the hall; but his spear, upon which his name was written in the eleven[ sic]-runes of the North, he set upon the wall in token that he had passed.

lindil: I have reservations about the 'gaunt limbs' and 'and his locks were unkempt …'
JRRT had plenty of time to describe Tuor thus all through UT tuor but did not. Plus the idea that Voronwe might not have been reticent to bring someone who looked so disreputable before the King seems plausible, after all he wanted to stay alive. There is simpley nothing in UT Tuor that gives this 'unkempt' impression of Tuor.

Lindil: Is the harp realistic given that we are given so many details of the journey from Nevrast?

At the least the word 'great' seems to much. It seems impossible to imagine he and Voronwe hiding under brambles with a 'great harp' tucked under the cloak. Is it mentioned at all in after Nevrast? although I do not think it is mentioned that he left it either.

All that being said, I suppose eliminating 'great' would be the way to go.

FG-T-20- typo -
... Now the streets of Gondolin were paved with stone and wide, kerbed with marble, and fair houses and coursts [typo should be courts] amid ...

I must say Jallanite did a truly excellent job here, although it is hard to decipher it out of all of the [[}} and such. I look forward to seeing the cleaned up 'readers vesion'.

As for the vote on the names, I don't see the need really as no one has objected to the proposals in the slightest.

[ January 03, 2003: Message edited by: lindil ]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote