View Single Post
Old 02-14-2004, 05:23 AM   #24
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
First of all, I also agree to "grates among the Gondolindrim save Turgon". So the case of Penlod is dealt with.

Know we turn to Turgon and the scene with Tuor speaking the message. What we discuss is a hastily written note. The essence of it is to emphasis that Turgon is seen as greatest among the company assemble. That he was, at the time that the note was written, really considered as the second greatest of men and elves ever is an information that is no longer valid (since we know Argon and Thingol were greater). I agree with Aiwendil that a list of the tallest children of Eru is out of question; it doesn't sounds a bit like Tolkien. If we like to provide the fact that Thingol was the greatest we must do that in some other place. (By the way: we can even not be absolutely sure that Thingol was considered greater than Argon any longer.)
For a bit of a second I thought of calling Turgon "tall among the children of the World". But that does also sound not really good.
I don't want cut the sentence out since it does provide something to the picture. Why don't we go the same way as we did with Penlod? That would mean to change the group addressed in the comparison? At least we could call Turgon "tallest of the Gondolindrim." And we might even find a better group. What's about "tallest of the children of the World of this time save Thingol"?

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote