View Single Post
Old 05-04-2004, 05:38 PM   #146
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Harold could hardly believe what Kalimac was telling him. First, an apology for the misunderstanding they'd had and, now, a generous offer to reimburse the Chubbs for all the rents and fees they'd paid out over ten years..... What a difference that money would make for his family in getting a new start!

He stared the landowner squarely in the eye and tugged at the brim of his cap, "Mister Kalimac, you're too hard on yourself. You've always been a fair man asking no more than your due. Not like some others I've Known. But I certainly won't say no to your proposal."

"Truthfully, I've been wondering and worrying how we'd come up with the things for our new home. I am good with my hands, but there are times when it would be nice to hire someone with skills to make a new bedstead or a sturdy table. This will make it easier for us!"

"Now, if you'll excuse me for just a moment. Before we nab that thief, I need to make sure my father is safe. He was standing guard on the hill and needs to lie low till the prowler leaves. I'll be back in just a minute." With that, Harold wandered off.

Harold's real reason for going to find his father was actually more complicated than that. He wanted the old gaffer to stay safe and sound, but that wasn't all. Harold wanted to share his good news with his Dad. It was his father who had drummed into his head that work shouldn't be slipshod, and that you must always try your hardest. Harold wanted to be the first to tell his Dad that these wise words had finally paid off, not only in personal satisfaction for a job well done, but now also in a little something extra.

Harold sprinted up the hill, just like when he was a child and went looking for his father who was out in the fields working hard. But this time Harold would be the one bringing the good news!

Walking towards a small wooded copse, he saw Fordo resting on the ground. Harold smiled. Once more, his father had fallen asleep on watch. How tired he must have been.

Harold sighed. He's worked plenty hard all those long years and deserves some rest. This money will help do that. But as Harold knelt down in the soft grass, he quickly saw something was odd. His father lay so still, quieter than Harold had ever seen him, and his face looked amazingly peaceful. The young Harfoot reached out his hand to stroke the sparse gray curls. Fordo did not stir or respond in any way.

For an instant Harold wondered why his father didn't wake up. Then, he gripped his shoulder and softly shook him. Still puzzled, he noticed his father wasn't breathing. At that moment, Harold could hear every sound about him: the crickets, the frogs, and the hoot of a distant owl. Most of all, he heard his own heart thumping.

He's gone. He's gone away, and I can't follow. A single tear slipped down Harold's cheek as he sat mesmerized on the ground holding his father's hand. But this isn't fair! This can't happen now. Dad just made up with Sarah, and we have money for an easier life. Everything was going to get better.

And how can I leave my father and bury him in the middle of nowhere? I took him from the place he loved, and couldn't even get him safely to his new home. Harold choked back his sobs, afraid that the prowler would come by and discover the two of them together. I just won't go on. I'll forget the necklace and Michel Delving. Let other people deal with this scoundrel, and risk their own necks. I've had enough. I'll go back to Bree with my Dad's body. A Hobbit can only take so much!

Then, out of nowhere a voice whispered inside Harold's head. Is that what I taught you? To pull out from your friends and neighbors when life gets too hard? You'd best go back right now and do your duty with Marcho and the others.

But I can't leave you here in the dirt!

Harold thought he heard a familiar chuckle. What kind of thinking is that? What better place for a Hobbit to be than warming a little piece of earth! Bree, or Michel Delving....or out here on this wooded trail, it's all the same. The place isn't what matters, Harold....it's the people in that place. It's our family: Prim and me, you and Sarah, Henry and May... Prim and I may be off down the road, but we're still part of that family. So go off, and do the Chubbs proud!

Blinking back tears, Harold struggled to his feet. He'd leave his father here till he'd finished the job, and then they'd find a spot under the trees to bury him. He slipped down the hill towards Kalimac and Marcho.

"Your dad alright?" Kalimac asked briefly before they set off on their errand.

"I reckon he is. I just reckon he is..... But we can talk more on that later."

Last edited by piosenniel; 05-09-2004 at 02:08 AM.