View Single Post
Old 02-18-2005, 12:52 AM   #3
radagastly
Shade of Carn Dûm

radagastly is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings virtually invented Fantasy as a modern genre, seperate from Science Fiction (or Scientific Romance, as it was called back then.) There are, of course, other examples of Fantasy that pre-date the invention of Middle Earth, but none were literally set in their own world, but in some aspect of our own, whether it was the planet Mars or Venus of Edgar Rice Burroughs, which was reached from the earth, or Lilliput, reached by ship from England. These involve world-creation, but they are accessable from where we are (in theory, of course!)Also, nothing before it even attempted the level of detail that Tolkien put into his creation. That is, at least in part, what led it to be the fore-runner of the fantasy genre.

I'm afraid I can't give you any more answer than that. Many writers of Fantasy are aware of Tolkien's place in the creation of their genre, and I believe that is the main source of their citing him as such a profound influence. That and the detail with which he imbued his world. Many writers attempt (usually unsuccessfully) to duplicate that level of detail and realistic (or believable) millieu.

I'm sorry. I know you asked for specific examples, and I seem to have none that I can cite at the moment. If I think of any, I will return and post them.