View Single Post
Old 09-02-2023, 07:05 AM   #18
Arvegil145
Shade of Carn Dūm

Arvegil145 has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Findegil View Post
Having read the source text now a bit farther I am not longer sure that we have to change {Elenwė}[Alairė]. The text in HoME XI, Meaglin readsUnderlining of later was added by me.)
First to the Alairė/Elenwė change reported here: the A text from 1951 and the typescript B(i) and Carbon Copy B(ii) as typed from 1970 or later have the name Alairė and that is changed in A and the carbon copy B(ii) but not in B(i) to Anairė. Christopher Tolkiens statment her means, I think' that the corretion in the genealogies of 'Anairė a Vanyar who remained in Tuna' to 'Elenwė who perished in the Ice' was later than the text of 'Meaglin'. And at the same time giving the name and the story of staying back in Tuna to the wife of Fingolfin. As both names are found in The Shibboleth, which is at least later then 1968 I would assume the following sequence:
a) Meaglin text written in 1959 with Turgons wife named Alairė and staying in Aman.
b) Meaglin text typed in 1970 with Turgons wife named Alairė and staying in Aman.
c) Shibboleth written with Fingolfins wife named Anairė and Turgons wife named Elenwė and perishing in the Ice.
d) Meaglin A and B cusorily corrected with Alairė => Anairė

b) and c) could be exchanged if the retaining of Alairė instead of Elenwė is assume an over sight.

As Arvegil145 mentioned already JRR Tolkiens memory was not fully reliable so late in his life. Therefore I would assume that when he corrected the 'Meaglin'-text he had forgotten the change of Alairė => Elenwė and the story of breaking Ice. Therefore what he corrected was just the name (on some linguistical ground, I would think).

In effect that would mean we have keep Elenwė and her perishing in the Ice for the wife of Turgon!

Respectfully
Findegil
By 'later', I assume you mean later than 'Maeglin A'?

Besides, I'm not sure about your dating of the 'Shibboleth' - is there any evidence that it postdates 'Maeglin B'?

Other than that, though, I think you make a pretty good case.
Arvegil145 is offline   Reply With Quote