View Single Post
Old 05-08-2005, 06:39 AM   #54
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lush
what did take away from it was the fact that Arwen was such a bit player; perhaps me seeing something in her relationship with Aragorn prior to the official ceremony implies a subconscious interpretation and consequent rejection of the image of Arwen as trophy
Now there's an interesting point. Is book Arwen really just a trophy, or is it our modern minds interpreting her to be as such? For myself, it does at first appear that she is a rather old fashioned idea of perfect womanhood, but there is much in her character which is deeper than that. In that she inspires Aragorn to such great deeds, doesn't she actually have an incredible power over him?

Sometimes I wonder if PJ's interpretation and presentation of Arwen was in response to our modern era and the need to have positive female role models. He did indeed alter a major character and change her into a figure of action rather than a seemingly passive figure, but was he right to do this in terms of presenting positive female images? Is it right to take a long established female character and change her in order to make her a better role model for our times?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatar
Where's the fantasy, the dream-like quality of the scene?
To me it is more magical, more indicative of high romance, if they do not experience any intimacy until they are permitted to be married. Aside from any physical urges, the thought that they cannot be together until the final goal has been achieved imparts a sense of yearning to the relationship, and gives Aragorn a sense of urgency! And remember it is a serious business for Arwen to marry a mortal; when she does so the day will quickly come when she must say goodbye to her entire family forever, with no meeting after death as the Elves are tied to Arda. So I would not doubt that she would be prepared to wait until everything was perfect.

In the film, Aragorn is uncertain about his destiny, but in the books he is not. How much of this is due to the 'promise' of Arwen at the end of his duties? In the films, if he is already 'maried' to her, then he does not need to have a sense of urgency about following his destiny except for satisfying the desires of everyone else. In the books, he also has personal reasons for following his destiny.