View Single Post
Old 11-13-2001, 04:32 PM   #15
peregrine
Pile O'Bones

peregrine has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Please excuse having several messages in this reply. If it's not the go, let me know.

To Kin Strife - I couldn't agree with you more about mental pictures. The first time I read LOTR was in three days when I had chicken pox. However, my mental pictures are still of mountains and green fields - although maybe different from yours because a lot of mine is influenced by Australian landscapes, which admittedly don't lend themselves to all aspects of Middle-earth geography. And I agree with the Chris Tolkien thing. Where would we be without him? Having access to all this background material might spoil it for some, but not me. I can't get enough.

To Pippin - Peregrine seemed a natural choice. I guess I like Tolkien's angle of great things being done by (so-called) little people, while other characters strive in excess pride or love to no avail. I like simple things. The little Hobbits are also cheeky. * So, you'll be off to see the movies? * The Hobbit stage show appeared here, to lukewarm reviews. I didn't see it.* The first time I read the LOTR and the Hobbit I skipped over the songs and poems (I was thirteen and regret it now). Now I am having trouble deciding if prose or poetry was Tolkien's strong point. And I have read other works like Tree and Leaf, Finn and Hengest, Smith of Wootton(?) Major etc.. As for favourite songs I have none because I like them all now. Some quotes are fantastic. "The road goes on..." and "It's a dangerous business going out your door".

To lindil - I can't read fast enough. I hope to get books 4-12 for christmas (listen to me - I'm 28 and still as excited as a child. That's Tolkien for you). I will try and track the Osanwe-Kenta essay down. Thanks for the tip.
peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote