View Single Post
Old 09-15-2003, 01:34 PM   #208
alaklondewen
Song of Seregon

alaklondewen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Pelien sat quietly at the breakfast table while Rummel busied herself taking up the dirty dishes and bringing fresh coffee for Pelien’s cup. Pelien, however, paid her no attention as she contemplated Adrama’s joyous reaction to her mother’s news. Had the girl completely lost her mind? Pelien was more than a little concerned about her daughter’s well-being, and this complete reversal of emotion just didn’t seem right.

“Lady Pelien…” The servant girl’s voice broke through Pelien’s thoughts and when the older woman looked up with an annoyed expression as to why she was being disturbed, Rummel continued. “There’s a messenger at the door, Madame.”

“Very well.” Pelien rose slowly from the table curious as to the nature of a message. Several possibilities ran through her mind…the message might be from Denethor apologizing for his reaction and thanking her for telling him the truth; or maybe it was from the Princess who wished to meet with Pelien before she returned to Dol Amroth…Pelien smiled at the possibilities.

As she entered the foyer her eyes landed on a young man dressed in the colors of the Steward standing next to the door. “Lady Pelien, I carry with me two letters from the Steward.” The young guard stepped forward with confidence and placed the messages in her hand. Then after a small bow, the messenger turned on his heel and walked out the door.

Pelien stood in silence for several moments just looking at the letters in her hands. Her heartbeat had steadily increased and her palms were damp, but with a deep breath Pelien overcame her nervousness and opened the first letter. She slowly began to read as she sauntered into the parlor and dropped into her favorite high-backed chair. As she finished the letter, Pelien folded the parchment and slipped it back in to the envelope.

For several minutes Pelien sat in complete silence weighing the news in the letter. The Steward was offering her a chance to redeem herself, which on one hand brought her great relief, yet on the other, she now had a great responsible not only to the Steward but now also to all of Gondor. In two days she would have another luncheon in which three unsuspecting guards would be tempted to read a confidential document. Her job now, which would be hard work, was to set up the luncheon and invite three young women as companions to the guards.

Pelien finally turned her attention to the second envelope that she unconsciously had been rotating with her thumb and forefinger. After carefully breaking the seal she slid the parchment from its cover. The second note was much shorter than the first, and read as follows…

Lady Pelien,

I have just received the information that you will need to complete your preparations for the luncheon. I will therefore send this list of names along with the same messenger who brings my letter to you.

Here is the list of names of the young men whom you will want to invite:

• Brigon - the gentleman in charge of the sorting house

• Athadan of Harondor - the guard who receives all mail and dispatches from the arriving ships, and, lastly,

• Aranarth, born and bred in Minas Tirith who was responsible for delivering the mail to my office the morning after the masquerade.

As I have said, you may also expect to see
Addruran who will be acting as my trusted agent in this affair.

Written in great haste,
Eckthelion, Steward

As soon as she refolded the paper, the entrance door opened and Adrama strolled across the foyer. “Adrama!” Pelien called out.

“Yes, Mother?” As Adrama turned toward the parlor, Pelien noticed a new lightness in her daughter’s steps.

“I want you to see something.” Pelien held the first of the Steward’s letters out to her daughter. As Adrama unfolded the paper and began to read, Pelien added, “I will need you help with this.”

[ September 16, 2003: Message edited by: alaklondewen ]