View Single Post
Old 04-05-2001, 03:20 PM   #7
Tar Elenion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar Elenion has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Haunting Spirit
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Re: The Parentage of Orodreth and Gil-galad: A Hi

--------------------------------
Quothe lindil:
Tar - Elenion posted:&quot;Later JRRT noted that Finrod had no child
and had left his wife in Aman.&quot;

Lindil replies:'Wife' is stated? I may be thinking of another reference but I recall a ______ of the vanyar 'whom he loved'. I got the impression it was an 'Amroth /Nimrodel' pre-marriage relationship. But as i stated, I may have the wrong references in mind or there could be more than one.
-----------------------------------

The reference to this is the 'parentage of Gil-galad' commentary by CT in the Shibboleth. There are two references by CT which mention JRRT noting that Finrod had no children (in exile) having left his wife in Aman.
Actually the most interesting is the seemingly latest which mentions Celebrimbor having affection for Finrod and Finrod's wife in Nargothrond.

Quote:
There of course will need to be a commentary detailing the changes and decisions [of which I hope Tar-Elenion we would have liberty to qoute from or include your ever growing number of essays ].

Certainly.

----------------------------------
Quote:
Of course we have to keep in mind that we could see further etymological tid-bit's come to light which upset the already shaky apple-cart. But I hope that CRT has scoured the errata, notes, 'hasty scribblings' and such so that any further revalations coming from the Vinyar Tengwar folks will not directly effect the geneologies.
---------------------------------

On the other hand it could be interesting to see yet another change in the genealogy of Gil-galad . I enjoy the 'tidbits' in VT I just wish they could be more regular.

Tar-Elenion--------------------- I will come with Fire and Sword, and put your cities to the Torch, your men to the Blade, your women and children in Chains</p>