View Single Post
Old 06-09-2007, 05:21 PM   #35
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
While Toby was a little annoyed by Robby’s tone and the way he spoke as if Toby was also convinced the threat was trolls – which he decidedly was not, he recognized the sense in what the younger hobbit said.

“Of course you are right,” said Toby bowing slightly before the dwarf could put in a word of retort. “We won’t be able to accomplish anything out here in the middle of the road.” He raised his voice, addressing the whole company. “We’ve heard the message now, so let’s get on to the inn.” And he led the short distance down the road.

Toby didn’t understand why the dwarf was so insistent about becoming the leader of the Defenders. Without any knowledge whatsoever about any of them, he seemed to have dismissed all of them, and particularly him, as remarkably inept and incapable. I’ll show him – he started to think, then realized that he had nothing to prove to this dwarf, this outsider. The dwarf should have to be the one to prove himself! After all, what did any of them know about him? Only that he had happened to come to the village about the same time as these strange happenings began! All Toby knew was that he was becoming less and less inclined to give the dwarf the benefit of the doubt with every word he spoke.

With these thoughts in mind he approached the door to the Prancing Pony and the whole troupe filed in afterwards. He greeted the innkeeper, an old friend, cheerfully enough for his stormy mood: “Good day to you! We’ve several bodies here in search of an ale or a meal, and I’m going to have to ask whether we might make use of your maps of Breeland.”

“Certainly, Toby. I’ll have those right out for you, and Rowlie will see that you’re all properly fed,” he said, with Rowlie referring to the serving hobbit.

“Thanks,” answered Toby, and went over to join the Defenders who had gathered around one of the largest tables. The maps were brought out in short order, as were the ales, and Toby spread the map out across the table. “Now, what we need to figure out is where this beast might be hiding during the day. Some of you know the area pretty well; any ideas?”