Thread: Bye Bye Balrogs
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2001, 03:18 PM   #16
Tar Elenion
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar Elenion has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Wight
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: Bye Bye Balrogs

------------------
Quote:
Quenta Silmarillion still holds that the were the first made of his creations. It even goes on to specify that they are Ealar-- not Maiar. Note the difference!
--------------------

(ref. MR, p.165)
'Ealar': Spirits
Differentiated from 'fear' (spirits) in that 'fear' are the indwelling spirits of the Incarnates, while 'ealar' are not incarnate with 'hroar'. Would not 'ealar' be applied to the Ainur in general?

------------------------
Quote:
Then there is a later term--Umaiar. Note the difference here also. Umaiar is not simply 'bad' Maiar. Christopher points to a reference point which shows the difference.
-------------------------

(for easier feference)
CT refers to the relationship between 'Maiar and Umaiar' and 'Vanimor to Uvanimor' in MR p. 79 and SoME p. 293 et. al.

'u-' indicates a simple negation in earlier versions, while 'il-' or 'ul-' indicates an opposite. Later 'u' had the sense of 'bad, uneasy or hard'.
(See BT 42).

'Maiar': 'the Beautiful', 'Umaiar': 'not-Beautiful'

-----------------
Quote:
I suggest to HerenIstarion, since enough time has now gone by, to submit his conclusion. What he has read from me is... &lt;snip&gt;
--------------------

I will wait for that before simply assuming that I think I know what you are getting at.

-----------------------
Quote:
Valid?
-----------------------

&quot;Some valid&quot;.

-----------------------
Quote:
This guy didn't even realize that you were talking of Elven Years. Did he even bother with the math there? 40 E.Y. = 5,760 Sun years,

As the Elves might say: &quot;la&quot;.

---------------------
Quote:
&lt;snip&gt;
I could state more absurdities, but you already know them I think.
------------------

Probably, though, to be fair, I have my own biases that colour my assertions.

Quote:
Of course he will maintain his position. Anything else is unacceptable to his perceptions and therefore preposterous.
------------------------

This is probably somewhat off topic (and likely rather 'mysterious' (and of little interest) to those not involved) so I will cease _here_ (i.e. place), though if you wish to continue the discourse feel free to 'e-mail' me (my 'address' is in the 'profile' section).

Tar-Elenion

Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice.
Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://www.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile&u=00000211>Tar Elenion</A> at: 8/19/01 8:43:29 pm