View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 04:37 PM   #34
gondowe
Wight

gondowe has just left Hobbiton.
As for the names: I think that if we assume a rule (or in my case if I assume a rule) there must be no exceptions, and I admit that I have no solution in the case of Rumil, and possibly will be the exception of all rules.
So, for me, there cannot be two Gelmirs. And as I said before Legolas of the LOTR cannot be in FoG, but Galdor is more possible (and i replace Legolas for Galdor as i said).

In the matter of transmission of the lore, Tolkien left unfinished this, ( I also can not explain Aelwine in post LOTR texts, but if he is, then Tolkien wanted to retake the character) and we can imagine things, because does not alter the history that is told. And i always thought that the hobbits and AElfwine are compatible.
At the time Aelfwine arrives in Eressea the hobbits are dead, the books in middle earth(Europe) are lost, and the only source is that of Eressea.
Aelwine talks with Pengolodh or whoever and translate the books of Bilbo and Frodo with material Numenorean and new material added when they arrived at the end of the third age in the isle, but also translate other material (because I think is not told what contains exactly the Translations of the Elvish of the Red Book).

The vision of the whole Aelfwine material must be human because part of the sources are human and he is a Middle Age human too.

Greetings
gondowe is offline   Reply With Quote