View Single Post
Old 07-11-2004, 08:30 PM   #379
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Silmaril Raefindan

"Raefindan, I do not know what to do," Ravion said in a quiet voice. "Have I offended Mellonin? Have I said something? You know her better than I. What should I do?"

Raefindan regarded Ravion, whose expression matched his words.

"What does your heart tell you, Ravion?"

Ravion looked confused. "My heart? It but beats."

Raefindan allowed a hint of a smile. "Your heart of hearts."

Ravion shook his head. "I seek to do as well as I can to lead this group in its search for Mellonin's brother."

"And she has thanked you."

Ravion's eye brow lifted. "It did not sound that way to hear her speak it."

Raefindan moved closer to Ravion, and spoke so that only he could hear him. "She is a woman, as you know. Listen not to the clear meaning of her words, but to the heart that speaks through the words."

Now Ravion looked more confused than ever. "My thanks, Raefindan," he replied hesitantly. "I have spoken to women before, and it has never been this hard."

"Why do you suppose that is, Ravion?"

"I do not know!" He whispered in exasperation. "Tell me!"

"That is something I cannot tell you. Think on it for yourself, my friend."

Ravion's jaw muscles worked. He threw his hands up in exasperation. "I am a ranger! I can read a trail, hear the faintest sound on the breeze. I can track any wild beast, and some not so wild." His eyes gravitated toward Aeron. He lowered his voice but his words came out in a harsh whisper. "Reading that woman is beyond this ranger's skill." He turned and walked away. "Help me set camp, Raefindan."

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 07-12-2004 at 08:27 PM. Reason: removal of contractions & more rangerly talk