View Single Post
Old 07-12-2003, 03:40 AM   #90
*Varda*
Maiden of Tears

*Varda* has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to *Varda*
Sting

Iona hopped out of bed the next morning as the sun shone into her small room at the Inn. Pulling on her green dress, and simply running a comb through her hair, she descended the stairs. It was early yet, but she wanted to become more acquainted with the Inn and its surroundings.

She had heard from another maid that it was the Farmer’s Market today – the perfect opportunity to buy the few things that she needed. It was possible she might even see her father, or one of her brothers selling food grown on the farm – this would be a blessing, since it would save her the tedious task of writing to her family to let them know her situation. And the way her mother would fret over her losing her last job…all in all, it was best if someone went home and told her that they had seen Iona in the flesh, and that she was doing fine.

Already there was life in the White Horse, and people seemed to be taking advantage of the market today, rising early. Iona had been informed that the Inn would grow steadily busier today, and so it made sense that the majority of the staff would be shopping early, before the buyers and sellers grew thirsty and came flocking to the Inn.

Looking into the kitchen, Froma was already up, and Iona stopped to wish him a good morning, and eat a quick breakfast. To her surprise, the cook responded cheerfully to her greeting, and the girl sat down to her breakfast with a smile on her face.

Ten minutes later, having eaten, Iona ran upstairs to slip a few coins into her pocket, and grab a basket for any purchases she might make, before slipping out the door of the Inn. Within a few minutes she found herself among the hustle and bustle of the streets of Edoras. The atmosphere was lively – different strains of music came to her ears from opposite ends of the street. She walked past a young man playing merrily on a flute, and smiled at him. She soon paused at a stall selling clothing, and fingered the soft fabrics, the colours bright and cheerful. She did need a new skirt really…she had spilt ale all over one, and never had a chance to replace it. Looking at the prices, she made her choice and picked out one in a beautiful wine colour. Paying the woman behind the stall, she put the skirt in her basket and continued along her way.

Totally absorbed in the sounds and smells of the busy streets, Iona walked on, so busy watching the goings on and other people’s actions she was taken completely by surprise as a pair of strong arms swung her small frame around, lifting her off the ground.

“Iona! We’d hoped to see you here!” said a voice from somewhere above her head, as that said person tried to regain her balance and her dignity, now her feet were safely back on earth. Looking up, she smiled.

“Eorwine! I thought I might see you!” she said with delight, seeing the face of one of her brothers above her. “Who else is with you?”

“Leod,” Eorwine responded, drawing Iona into a corner, away from the middle of the busy street. “Tell me, how do things go with you? Have you found another job? Our mother was frantic with worry when she heard you lost your job – she conjured up images of you starving on the streets! We all knew it was ridiculous, of course, but this will set her mind at rest, as you seem well enough.”

Iona laughed. “I knew she’d worry, I was going to write tonight if I didn’t see anyone who could pass messages on. Thankfully, I’m spared that task! Yes, I have a new job – in the White Horse inn!” Realising that the morning would be drawing on, Iona prepared to leave. “I still have a few things left to buy, but come in for your lunch! I will be serving then.” Another hug and smile parted the two, and Iona went off to browse more stalls.