View Single Post
Old 07-20-2003, 11:03 PM   #105
The X Phial
Shade of Carn Dûm

The X Phial has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Deol felt that all was right with the world. He had enjoyed carrying Iswyn's packages and laughing with her as they explored the stalls. It was like a happy dream. No cares and a pretty girl at his side who blushed and chattered and never made him think about the future or stared at him with solemn assessing eyes. A look at the sky, however, brought him sharply to the realisation that he had only a few minutes left before he was expected back at Aldhelm's stall. He turned to Iswyn, sadly.

"I wish I could stay and help you take these things back to the inn, Iswyn, but Aldhelm is expecting me in a few minutes and I still have to think up something to tell him about my 'mission.'"

"What mission," the girl asked, pouting only slightly and not looking thrilled about carrying all the packages back to the inn.

"Something about identifying 20 new customers, I don't know. I'll think of something." He pulled a face and Iswyn laughed.

He went to a nearby stall and with his own money bought a large basket for Iswyn's purchases.

"It's not as good as someone else carrying it, but it will at least make it easier for you to get around," he said, and they shared a smile.

He left Iswyn by the square where they had met up and dashed through the market to the miller's stall. He arrived, panting and out of breath and gasped an apology for his lateness, not noticing that Aldhelm was busy with a customer. By the time the miller turned to acknowledge his apprentice he was breathing normally again.

"So," the older man asked jovially, "how went your exploring?"

"Well, I suppose. I saw a lot of housewives, but I think most of them already get their flour from us."

Aldhelm nodded. "And what did you notice about customers, and potential customers?"

"Well," Deol hestitated, stalling for time. He hadn't noticed anything, of course, but he had to have some kind of answer. "I didn't notice anything in common, really," he finally admitted in defeat. To his shock, the miller's face beamed.

"Such a clever boy, I wish you were my son. Well, soon enough."

Deol's cheeks burned with pride and shame, simultaneously. How had he earned such praise?

Aldhelm, who could tell that the boy was puzzled, explained.

"Every customer and potential customer is different. They are all unique people and the key to being a good businessman is being able to see what they really want. Of course, they want flour, or sometimes honey, but they all want something more.

"Rylwyn, who you saw me just speaking to, wants reassurances that she is still beautiful, so she flirts a bit. I don't flirt back, of course, but I always find a way to compliment her looks in some way. Makes her look forward to coming to the market, to picking up her flour. Other people want to joke or just get their flour and leave. You, Deol, will have to learn to see what people really want."

He saw that the boy was still puzzled and decided to let him think on the idea a bit.

"Now, I have to take some calculations over to Laevin and do some shopping, and you have to watch the stall. No mission for the rest of the day, just treat the customers well as I know you always do."

With that the miller left his apprentice and strolled through the market himself. He waved to the other vendors and danced a bit to some of the music, garnering a laugh. Once he felt a bump and saw a small boy scamper away, shouting an apology. He picked up the few things needed back at the mill; soap, a few strips of fine linen for swaddling clothes, candles, and a fine bone comb for Lathyn as a present and reward. The girl had been working very hard of late.

He stopped by Laevin's on the way back to his stall, intending to drop off the measurements for the new axle. When he got there he realised the pouch he used for holding his writing supplies was missing and remembered the boy. He chuckled to himself. The little thief had missed the money and taken the small inkstone and parchments instead. He apologised to the blacksmith, who seemed just as amused, and promised to have the measurements to him soon.

"It's your timetable, Aldhelm, not mine," Laevin laughed.

Aldhelm picked up a new inkstone and pouch and headed back to the stall. He saw the Deol had sold all of the remaining honey and was chatting with a fuller's wife. The market day had gone well, by all accounts. He considered stopping by the White Horse on his way out of town for an ale and never considered for a moment that Deol might have his own motivations for wanting to stop there as well.