View Single Post
Old 07-15-2003, 01:47 PM   #95
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Sting

Iswyn nodded excitedly at Talan as she read off the items from Bęthberry's list. As she hurried to keep up with the young man's long strides her dress swished around her ankles. She was glad she'd taken the time to put on one of her nicer dresses that morning, just in case... She only wished she'd had a chance to do something nicer with her hair. Her eyes sparkled with excitement, and the quick walking brought a pink flush to her freckled cheeks.

Iswyn nodded absently, as Talan mentioned stopping first for the fowl. "And then..." Iswyn's smile was shy and her cheeks somewhat pinker than before. "Then we can split up, right Tal?" The young man cast a sidelong glance at Iswyn and chuckled, but she didn't notice it. All she saw was his nod, as he tore Bęthberry's list in half and thrust the first half into her hand. "Thanks Tal!"

The sounds of the market greeted them cheerily as soon as they neared the center of town, and following the sound they quickly found where Hamish had set up his stand. A tall man with a red face and hooked nose, Hamish was Bęthberry's preferred source for poultry, mainly because he could sometimes be prevailed upon to deliver in his wagon at the end of the day. Leaving Talan to haggle prices, and hopefully badger Hamish into delivering, Iswyn went round the side of the stall and peered through the wooden slats at the birds inside. Quickly selecting three of the plumpest geese and five ducks, Iswyn watched while Hamish nailed the struggling birds into smaller wooden crates. Tal gave her a grateful grin as he handed over the money for the fowl and reminded Hamish that he'd be back by for them later that afternoon.

As they walked away from the poultry stand, Talan tipped half of the money Bęthberry had given them into Iswyn's hand. She tucked it carefully in the pocket hanging at her waist, relishing the clink of coins as they settled into their new positions. Talan shot her a warning look. "Make sure those don't clink too much, Iswyn... not everyone around her can be trusted." He glanced around carefully.

Iswyn grinned. "I won't. And Tal, don't get any horrid pillowslips." She pointed to Bęthberry's list. "Get plain white, or perhaps with very small designs around the edges." Holding up her fingers to demonstrate small, the girl giggled. No sense in trusting a man to get pillow slips on his own. Talan coughed into his hand and muttered something. Iswyn nodded, "I won't be responsible, Tal, if Mistress Bęthberry thinks they're ugly." She poked the tip of her tongue out between pearly teeth at him.

"Your wish is my will, Lady Iswyn." He laughed, making a mock bow to her. "Do meet me back at Hamish's an hour past noon!" he called back over his shoulder as he disappeared into the buzz of the marketplace.

On her own now, Iswyn wandered through the stalls smelling deeply and stopping now and then to finger the fine materials and satin ribbons at some of the stalls. She had a bit of pocket money, she might be back later for a bright blue ribbon or a bit of fine lace to trim a handkerchief. She let her eyes wander lazily over her half of Bęthberry's list as she walked:

cream cheese and head cheese
cinnamon sticks and cardamon pods--three handfuls each
cloves--two handfuls
sugar beets
teas--black, green, orange

The spices attracted her first, and she leaned over a bin of cloves, breathing in their exotic smell with relish. Before she lowered her hand in, however, to measure out the required two handfuls, she paused. Did she really want to do all her shopping right off? She'd have to carry the heavy parcels with her all day... Iswyn pulled her hand back from the bin of cloves, sniffing appreciatively once more. It wouldn't do to get laden down too early. Simply wouldn't do.
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!