View Single Post
Old 07-25-2003, 01:08 PM   #116
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The streets of Edoras thronged with people. Theora couldn't believe quite how many there were. She had thought it had been busy and noisy yesterday, but with the market on there were merchants, farmers, travellers, animals and lots of children all over the place. It was a completely different kind of noise from the farm, when the sounds had been mostly animal. She grinned. Squawking chickens were about the only things to compare.

It was strange being in a place that she didn't know, surrounded by people she didn't know. Dinner yesterday at the Inn had been similar, but she hadn't got used to the feeling yet. She wasn't feeling homesick though- in fact she was very excited.

From the corner of her eye she caught sight of a stall with brightly coloured vegetables. She didn't recognise most of them, they were certainly unlike what her father grew. The man behind the stall was different too, short and squat with dark skin and jet black hair. He glared at her, and she left, walking off through the crowd.

I wonder where he's from? she thought idly. Far away, that's for sure. Maybe the South where there are wild men.
She shivered- wild men had been her mother's threat. 'Be good or the wild men will take you.' Theora had never believed it, but it could be true. Perhaps they really did eat little girls? Maybe the man had come to Edoras pretending to sell vegetables but really to get new victims. Maybe-

"Hey!"
The outraged yell shook Theora from her daydream. She looked down and saw a number of large baskets scattered and rolling in the mud. An old, grey haired man was shaking his fist at her and going to pick one up. She realised she had knocked them over.

"I'm so sorry!" Theora gasped, running to help pick them up. Both reached for one basket, and banged their heads. Theora gasped again, then groaned as she saw the old man fall over to sit in the mud. A woman with a tray of ribbons and wool didn't see him and nearly tripped. Theora darted forwards to grip the side of her tray, to steady her, but in the process kicked mud at the basket seller.
Mama would kill me for this! she thought desperately as she tried to placate the old man.

Later, Theora returned to the White Horse Inn with a basket that she had bought out of guilt and lugged it up to her room. As she sat down on the bed she told herself that for the nest few weeks- at least- she would be a model maid, do everything that was asked of her, concentrate, and refuse offers of time off.
I'll be so efficient they'll hardly realise I'm here, she vowed grimly.
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link