View Single Post
Old 07-26-2003, 09:28 PM   #119
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Shield

The three companions, Bęthberry, Ruthven, and Madi, had just settled down in small alcove off the great hall, when the sounds of a child's cranky whine had distracted the Innkeeper. She rose, leaving Ruthven and Madi to relax in the large wicker chairs, and returned to her desk by the entrance where a young woman was with some embarassment trying to settle the child.

"It must be passed naptime," said the Innkeeper to the young woman.

"It is. We've had a long journey in and a longer time stopping by my brother Lowfel's home. A bit to eat would be good but a room might be beyond my means," replied the woman.

"Lowfel's sister, you are then," exclaimed the Innkeeper. "Welcome Shrae. He had mentioned to me that your room wasn't yet ready in his house and he wondered if you could stay here. I've a small room on the second floor above the kitchen, so it's warm even without a fireplace and cheeper of course without the fire. It is a tiny room, with just a cot and a wee crib for the bairn. I'll call Iona or Delia to show it to you if you'd like."

"I'll trust your word, Bęthberry, for Lowfel said this would be a good choice. But lunch would be good now."

The Innkeeper nodded, and showed Shrae and the infant to the great hall. "We're short staffed today because of the Market, but Iona should be along shortly to serve you." Bęthberry placed a large pitcher of water on the table before Shrae, and a platter of shortbread cookies for munching on. Before she could return to Ruthven and Madi, however, a second commotion greeter her at the door.

Aleia arrived with a sorry looking, scared young man, who she thrust forward to face the Innkeeper.

"What's this?" the older woman asked.

"It's Anwir, an enterprising young man from the Market. He helped himself to my coin but Talan caught him. Rather than reporting him, I thought I'd bring him to you," replied Aleia.

"To me! Whatever for?"

"Please, Ma'am, don't report me," the boy stammered. His grey eyes were ringed dark from hunger and his bony body shook. "I'll do a real day's work for you, I promise."

"Am I an alms house now?" Bęthberry queried the boy and Aleia.

"I thought perhaps you could use an extra hand in the stables," said Aleia.

"Did you now," replied the Innkeeper. "And will you vouch for him? Cover any coin which might go missing for his industry?"

Aleia looked surprised at the offer. She hadn't expected to be asked to give surety for the boy. It had just been an impulse on her part, to think to help the boy. Yet she felt she couldn't back down.

It isn't likely there'll be coin lying around the stable, she thought to herself.

"I will, Bęthberry, as long as the Stable Master agrees to take him on."

"Run out then with Anwir and find him. If he agrees, and you accept the responsibility, Anwir can try his hand at stable boy."

With a slight feeling of concern, Aleia nodded yes and withdrew with Anwir to find the Stable Master.

Bęthberry stood there for some minutes, frowning in contemplation, and biting her lower lip with mixed feelings. Then she turned on her heel and returned to her tea and shortbread, looking forward to what story Ruthven had to tell about Madi's day at the Market.