View Single Post
Old 03-24-2002, 05:23 AM   #145
Estel the Descender
Haunting Spirit

Estel the Descender has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Estel the Descender
Sting

Dear Kalessin,

Quote: 'And I still do NOT believe the intention or design of LotR was to provide moral instruction ... and worse, that it therefore becomes the property of a particular interest group.'

I agree. I think that the LotR was meant to provide a believable world where Tolkien's created languages can develop. Whatever moral 'things' is found in the LotR in my opinion are just plot devices. If Tolkien's books become 'parables' or 'examples', they are so by. . . 'accident'.

That is the difference with CS Lewis. Jack, being a Protestant, believed that his work should be somewhat evangelical. Lewis intended his books 'to provide moral instruction'. But Lewis (I think) never tried to proselytise through his books.

If Tolkien had a 'Gospel' to preach, I think that it would be the gospel of philology. Tolkien wisely does not try to 'proselytise' by overdoing his treatment of languages. It is there: if anybody is interested in the languages, read the books. But the books were not intended also to provide linguistic instruction.

The Bible, however, was intended as an empirical record of God by the writers (who of course believed that they were inspired by God). Just as Tolkien's work is permeated with numerous references to the languages of Arda, the Bible is filled with references to God (with the exception of the book of Esther). This is one of the ways the Bible and the LotR are similar.