Thread: orc nature
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2002, 12:41 PM   #12
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Eol--

I am sorry, but I do not agree. And, yes, I have read the prologue of the Silm a number of times. CT published the book in 1977 or 1978. That was years before he looked over the rest of the papers which were later published as HoMe. In fact volume 13 in that series, the index, has just come out. CT was a wonderful editor who did the best he could, but he was not perfect. There is at least one case where he preferred an earlier draft over a later one. He even admitted this was a mistake. And this is not the only disputed point.

And what about the Downs' own Silm project? If the book was in such perfect shape and order, why are people struggling on this site and giving up their time to come up with a revised Silm that would take into account many of the things which later came out in HoMe?

The Orcs may or may not have been corrupted Elves. I am merely saying that this is a disputed point, and we should at least be aware that other interpretations are possible. And the origin of Orcs does have some relevence as to their immortality.

I respectfully and stubbornly disagree,

sharon, the 7th age hobbit

[ August 22, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]