Thread: Outrage?
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2006, 08:41 AM   #213
drigel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

drigel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
wonder what this tells us about Tolkien's philosophy, about the 'laws' of Middle-earth?
Its a wonderfull personification of the elvish story by that time (actually starting at the conclusion of the Last Alliance). The transition age where legend slips away, and the harsh reality of the fact that the age of mankind is being ushered in, like it or not. To me, the rings use for her (could she have done the same thing with Vilya?) was all about the attitude of a High Elf that remembered paradise, but also remembered ME in its vigorous youth, and how close it was to paradise, before so much marring. And the realization by LOTR that the ravages of time can sweep away both the ideal of ME and the ideal of her people.

Quote:
The Galadriel we meet in LotR is not the true Galadriel - only after the offer & rejection of the Ring do we see the real Elf-Woman
She was both because she HAD to be both, IMO. It may have been regional by that time, but her kingdom was necessary and vital to the ultimate mission. Plenty of chances to sail west for her, although I think pre-Frodo, in her mind, she didnt think she had Pardon. Which to me sets up the idea that the idea of being unforgiven motivated a lot of her decision making, to her credit. Not that she had something to prove, but that she didnt let that change her soul, ultimately.

Quote:
Holding Lorien blossoming, is against the turn of the tide. To try to reserve it, is a "blasbhemy", not yielding to the "natural" shape of events' unfolding.
It is, and the use of technology augments it. But then again, so is any civilized existense, no? We all blaspheme as soon as we left the tree. It reminds me of a conservation project that is trying to save a certain species from extinction, regardless of the impact, or even whether or not it was our fault. Plenty of extinctions occur, most have happened long before we came on the scene to have an impact. Some would call that a sin, others would call it benevolent, most wouldnt decry blasphemer, would they?
drigel is offline   Reply With Quote