View Single Post
Old 10-09-2002, 11:59 AM   #4
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Topic: How to join the "members only" Translations team?
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Member # 4

Member Rated:

posted June 22, 2001 08:00 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spirit of Mist

It would likely be a good idea to explicitly state how to go about it. I, for one, would like to throw in with the team though my participation would likely be limited to commentary/analysis rather than actual drafting. Lindil, I'll send you my e-mail (I'm having difficulties with my "Private Mail").
--Mithadan--
"The Silmarils with living light
were kindled clear, and waxing bright
shone like stars that in the North
above the reek of earth leap forth."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lindil

Member # 76

Member Rated:

posted June 22, 2001 09:25 AM

Re: How to join the "members only" Translations te

I had actually d a FAQ in the intro to the forum/project thread, it was killed by an 'illegal html' bug - so I hope to replace it tonight.
Lindil is oft found on posting on the Silmarillion Project at the Barrowdowns and working onthe 2nd Elven/Christian discussion boardOsanwe, and Gilthalion's Tar Ost-in-Eruhir. and Finrod prophecieth to Andreth " Therefore Eru,if He will not relinquish His work to Melkor... must come in to conquer him.

Posts: 853 | From: a hidden fastness [N. CA] | Registered: Jul 2000

Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Member # 5

Member Rated:

posted June 23, 2001 12:39 AM
Dread Horseman

I'm certainly very interested in having a look at what the project is producing, though like Mith, I have precious little time to contribute any actual drafting (not to mention that I'm woefully underqualified, scholarship-wise). I'll put in for the sort of reader/analyst job Mith applied for, though, if you're giving those out.

P.S., my private message is working just fine as far as I know.

Edited by: Mister Underhill at: 6/23/01 12:40:09 am

Posts: 1469 | From: the Renaissance | Registered: Sep 2000

lindil

Member # 76

Member Rated:

posted June 23, 2001 06:04 AM

Excellent Mr. Underhill,

Please keep in mind that the discussions will take place here at the 'old forum' polls i.e. decisions and the placement and editing of texts at the Translations from the elvish forum.

To those who are temporaly challanged, such as myself , please kep in mind that not every thread in the old forum is essential or even directly relevant [not to say unimportant !] to the Project.
Keep an eye on thePrinciples, FoG and Intro threads though in addition to any calls for votes or decisions at the Translations from the Elvish forum.

MITHADAN - did you receive my email - sent just prior to this post?

again welcome back aboard M, and congrats on your removing your ring MR. U !

HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Member # 111

posted June 23, 2001 07:43 AM
Deadnight Chanter

aiwa
GeorgeLashkhi

Posts: 2027 | From: Tbilisi, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2000

lindil

Member # 76

Member Rated:

posted June 23, 2001 08:52 AM

Heren Istarion posted: aiwa

Lindil replies: ???

GENERAL NOTICE:
the Introduction to the Forum/Project and Council thread is back up and running and hopefully has an answer to your questions, if not put em up. [in the 'intro' thread]

Lindil is oft found on posting on the Silmarillion Project at the Barrowdowns and working onthe 2nd Elven/Christian discussion boardOsanwe, and Gilthalion's Tar Ost-in-Eruhir. and Finrod prophecieth to Andreth " Therefore Eru,if He will not relinquish His work to Melkor... must come in to conquer him.

Edited by: lindil at: 6/23/01 8:57:00 am

HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

Member # 111

posted June 26, 2001 03:59 AM
Deadnight Chanter

aiwa: - expression of agreement, if not in particuliar details, but in general
GeorgeLashkhi

Posts: 2027 | From: Tbilisi, Georgia | Registered: Sep 2000

Lhundael
Haunting Spirit

Member # 1514

Member Rated:

posted February 11, 2002 11:31 AM
Depending on the elvish, i am somewhat qualified to translate Cwenya(Quenya) and any writing based in that form.* Sindarin i can translate a little, but not enough to be of any help.

*Note: I say writing because, basically, Cwenya was a language that was used more for writing than for speaking.

--------------------

Hlara i engwi enyë queta
Utuvien melme mi hendirya

Posts: 80 | From: Eregion | Registered: Feb 2002 | IP: Logged

lindil

Member # 76

Member Rated:

posted February 11, 2002 01:22 PM
welcome Lhundael,

Jallanite and Aiwendil are the primary linguists here and their work is mostly to be found in the Fall of Gondolin: a project thread.
There are a few points still being worked on [in the FoG] , a final version of the 7 names of the City, a final decision on Legolas Greenleaf [Cian offered some plausible substitutions , but not all are in favor of the changes] and of course any miraculous insight you may have w/ Rog. I may be missing some points but a review of the Intro, FoG, Mechanical Monsters and the bye bye balrogs threads should bring you mostly current.

also as a note to all - The ideal place for signing on is the intro thread. this is a spur discussion that will sooner or later be closed, I imagine.

lindil

[ February 11, 2002: Message edited by: lindil ]

Posts: 853 | From: a hidden fastness [N. CA] | Registered: Jul 2000 | IP: Logged

Thingol
Shade of Carn Dűm

Member # 1071

Rate Member
posted February 11, 2002 08:48 PM
I've been observing for a while now, but don't really have much to add to most discussions. I am also woefully underqualified to contribute much. So far all of the posts have been very interesting.
[ February 11, 2002: Message edited by: Thingol ]

--------------------

Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.

Posts: 294 | From: Long Island, New York | Registered: Jan 2002 | IP: Logged

Eruhen
Wight

Member # 1392

Member Rated:

posted February 20, 2002 11:40 AM
I can help with either Sindarin or Quenya, though I am better with Sindarin, but I'm learning fast. You can also give me a proof-reading job if need be. I don't care, I just want to help. Also, please send me a PM rather than an e-mail, because my e-mail is being retarded in the extreme. Thanx!
--------------------

Á laita Ilúvatar!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Posts: 203 | From: the Timeless Halls, and Bainduin | Registered: Jan 2002 | IP: Logged
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote