View Single Post
Old 10-12-2002, 03:39 AM   #10
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Topic: Use Me
obloquy posted December 22, 2001 09:14 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am willing to do some work on this project, including typing or word/name replacements, or just about anything that needs attention. I don't know if there are still some who are actively working on it, but if someone could perhaps tell me what needs to be done I will be glad to help. I am not familiar with everything that is planned for this, so if you will have me replace a name throughout a text, I will need to know specifically what name to replace and with what. If I am to type something, I would need to be directed with details. If there's anything else I can do, let me know. I would love to see this come to completion.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 446 | From: Spokane, WA USA | Registered: Apr 2001 | IP: Logged

Mithadan posted December 24, 2001 11:37 AM
While this forum is slow, it is not inactive. Be patient and someone will get back to you.

=========================================
Aiwendil - posted December 26, 2001 11:32 AM
There are indeed still people working on the project, though it has been a bit slow of late. It is, of course, always good to see new people interested in helping. I suggest you start by browsing through some of the old threads to see where we stand and how we've been working - particularly the A Project: Revising the Fall of Gondolin (which is pretty long, so be warned), Mechanical Dragons and the Fall of Gondolin and Bye Bye Balrogs threads. There should also be a thread buried somewhere around here with a standard greeting and introduction for new members; a look at that couldn't hurt.
The situation with the project now is roughly this: we've finished the first draft revisions to the Fall of Gondolin, all of which are posted in that thread. There are still a couple of issues that we have to resolve with the Fall of Gondolin, which I believe I posted in one of the recent 'Where are we' threads. Beyond the Fall of Gondolin, we have some vague ideas scattered through the earlier discussions about how to treat various other sections.

The other forum in this section, 'Translations from the Elvish' I believe it's called, is where we intended to post the completed texts. Technically, it's a member-only forum, but the password is available to anyone who asks for it. Lindil, our nominal leader, usually handles that; I suggest you e-mail him with your interest in the project and be made an 'official' member. If, after all this, you're still interested in typing up some stuff, you can do it and post it in that forum. It is, I fear, a bit more than updating names, however. The Fall of Gondolin that we have should, I think, be assembled thus:

1. Follow Tuor in Unfinished Tales until it ends.
2. See post labelled The Transition. For this and the rest of the sections, the base text is the Fall of Gondolin in the Book of Lost Tales part II, and all changes from that text are listed.
3. See post Tuor in Gondolin
4. See post Maeglin's Treachery
5. See post The Attack
6. See post The Closing Portions
Following each of these is discussion, commentary, and some changes and corrections. Also, toward the beginning of the thread, there's some discussion of name changes that are to be made throughout.

I hope I haven't intimidated you! Anyway, I think it's good that I've laid out exactly what needs be done for the Fall of Gondolin. Any help you can offer you can offer will of course be most appreciated.

[ December 26, 2001: Message edited by: Aiwendil ]

===========================================
obloquy posted December 26, 2001 09:23 PM
Roger. I've already acquired the password to the Translations forum from Underhill. Does that make me an official member or do I need to be added to a roster somewhere?
==========================================
HerenIstarion posted December 28, 2001 12:36 PM
as far as I may assume, now is time to choose Letter (sounds kind of secret society talk, does it not ?), which will define your participation abilities, possibilities and other paraphernalia of the kind
=========================================
lindil posted December 28, 2001 01:19 PM
Aiwendil's outline is an excellent summation, and guide to begining reading/orientaition.
As for action: 1 project that could be profitably undertaken is a collecting of the final suggestions of the name changes to be made in the fall of Gondolin [FoG] These are mostly contributed by Aiwendil and Jallanite in the afore mentioned"A Project: revising 'the fall of gondilin'" I believe it is called.

obloquy posted :Roger. I've already acquired the password to the Translations forum from
Underhill. Does that make me an official member or do I need to be added to a
roster somewhere?

lindil:As for the official membership - your on. I will endeavor to add it to the roster in the intro thread right away.

A couple other items of work could be to copy the BoLT 2 FoG in the 'Translations from the Elvish' Forum and apply the name changess to FoG as is. Then anyone working on the text has already corrected text to start from.

To anyone who is very computer literate, coming up w/ whatever is needed to put in all the proper vowel marks [diaresis, accentegu [sp?] double dots above the E's etc.] . this will only become critical at the end, but if someone has the skills and wants to it could profitably be undertaken at the end of each 'chapter'
=============================================
obloquy posted December 28, 2001 05:13 PM
Implementing the accent marks is actually quite easy if you have Microsoft Word. Simply construct the properly-accented word using the character map, and then add it to your spell-checker's auto correct function. Then you can type the word without using the accents (Aule, for instance) and will fix it for you (you'll have Aulë). The only word I don't recommend using this technique with is fëar since you'll have trouble using the English word "fear".
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote