View Single Post
Old 05-21-2003, 05:57 PM   #148
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

"I, like yourself, am wandering," said Nuru. "I have just recently come from Rohan where I was visiting an old friend of mine. I have always desired to see Gondor, for those who stop at the Green Dragon, where I often am, have told wonderous and beautiful tales about it." She glanced quickly at Poppy. "No doubt you think it odd, an Elf so strongly desiring to see a land of mortal folk, but so it is, and I cannot change it."

She stopped and looked down, gathering her thoughts and pondering over what she had just said. Why had she wished to see Gondor? Recently she had more and more been interested in the ways of Men and in hearing tales of her home. As of late Elven company had not satisfied her, so she was much away from her home in Rivendell, staying at the inn in Bywater where she could converse with Men, Hobbits, and Dwarves, not having to speak to Elves. What was this strangeness that was coming over her?

Looking up, she realized Poppy had just asked her something and was looking at her expectantly. Apologizing, she asked the hobbit to say it again, then she replied, "I would enjoy telling some tales, but I fear most of them will be fantasies from my mind or tales that would bore a hobbit like yourself."

"Not at all!" Poppy cried, smiling. "I would love to hear any tales you might want to tell." She paused, and thought back to what they had been doing before Nuru had arrived. Dancing, that was it. Or, rather, teaching Rie how to dance. "And perhaps you could give us a hand with the party celebrations!" she suggested eagerly.

Nuru laughed, a light laugh full of fun. Tossing her head, the warm light from the fire caught her brown hair, and, as it did with the Elf's hair when light shone upon it, it seemed to be as gold for a brief moment. She looked scornfully about the room. "Where shall I begin?" She looked back to Poppy and Rie. "What were you doing when I came in?" She listened eagerly as Rie told her the whole story, then she laughed again. "Then let us start there. Come, Rie and I will learn the dance together!"