Thread: Dumbing it down
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2005, 03:54 PM   #263
lord of dor-lomin
Wight

lord of dor-lomin has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Quote:
But clearly (given their critical and popular success) these things did not greatly impair the films for the vast majority of “ordinary film-goers”, for (professional) reviewers, or for members of the “film” community (who were primarily responsible for the awards which it received).

Why is this? Are they somehow less intelligent or less discerning than those for whom these inconsistencies cause irritation or anger?
Obviously, yes, in some ways that must be true. If inconsistency exists but is not noticed by someone then that person is definitely less... what should I say... observant. There's no denying that. It's true by definition.

Remember, WE are the Tolkien fanatics. WE, here on this site, are the Albert Einsteins of all things related to Tolkien. We are the experts. We are the ones who notice the most. We are the ones who see inconsistencies where others don't.

The fact is, when we are talking about Middle Earth related things, "ordinary film goers" and "profesional reviewers" ARE, in a way, inferior to us. The fact that they can't see things that are there is proof of this inequity.
Quote:
However, I don't think I understand the point of appealing to their popularity. What conclusion are you trying to draw from this? The films are popular, therefore ________?
I'd like to ask the same question.