View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #17
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarumian
I tend to agree with your view on Gandalf and Sir Ian's work, however my impression is that even in the book he was never Gandalf the Infallible. What puzzled me was the fact that he was described as explosive and, sometimes, impatient (while, on the other hand, kind, forgiving and merry).
What he says.

And indeed, he could be called Gandalf the Inscrutable. In recall, Gandalf is all hero, the kindly, wise old grandfather figure with hidden power. But in a close read, it's apparent that he doesn't have all the answers and is as capable of making mistakes as anyone else, especially when he is Gandalf the Grey.

The head banging scene is quite apt, I feel, for this Gandalf.

But after his battle with the Balrog he does return from something otherworldly, possibly an encounter with Eru, or at least his fellow Ainur. If Glorfindel and Galadriel are possessed of an incredible Light because they have walked in both Valinor and Middle-earth, then Gandalf is this and more so. Glorfindel was sent back after 'death', and Galadriel travelled back - Gandalf has been back twice. So to me, the change portrayed by Ian McKellen is consistent and there is nothing to fault.

And besides, I am honour bound to defend my fellow Lancastrian