View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 09:09 PM   #28
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
This is like all the other Priya Seth arguments she has put forward (or I should say Balfrog has put forward for her) claiming that Tolkien was a chronic liar and didn't mean what he meant when telling readers he didn't write allegorical or topical. That somehow Priya Seth, and only Priya Seth (plus Balfrog) has uncovered the secret and hidden truths to all of Tolkien's mysteries.

If you and Priya Seth want to interpret the "30 silver pennies" as a biblical allegory and Judas connection in LOTR...go for it. No one's going to stop you. However, when you post on a forum, inviting the community to read and discuss something someone wrote then take umbrage with the response from members of the community, you aren't seeking learning or understanding. You're not looking to contribute to the community. You're only looking to spam it with Priya Seth's doggerel, which means you're either Priya Seth, or you're getting paid to get traffic to her website.

I'm not even sure why I'm wasting my time typing the response below, because this is going to be my only response and if you persist in your Priya Seth spamming on this forum I'm going to block your profile. Not that I expect this to stop you, but it will reduce the useless clutter on my screen when I'm here.

No one on this forum is going to deny Tolkien was inspired by his faith and religious beliefs, but it wasn't his only, nor was it his primary inspiration. He dedicated an entire lifetime to writing and not just writing this mythology and history of Middle-earth, he wrote a ton of material not at all related or about Middle-earth:

Quote:
I desired to do this for my own satisfaction and I had little hope that other people would be interested in this work, especially since it was primarily linguistic in inspiration and was begun in order to provide the necessary background of "history" for Elvish tongues.
Quote:
The Lord of the Rings has been read by many people since it finally appeared in print, and I should like to say something here with the reference to the many opinions or guesses that I have received or have read concerning the motives and meaning of the tale. The prime motive was the desire of a tale-teller to try his hand at a really long story that would hold the attention of readers, amuse them, delight them, and at times maybe excite them or deeply move them.
People who argue Tolkien wrote allegorical are at best guessing, and as he addresses in the Foreward "at best guesses from evidence that is inadequate and ambiguous."

Allegory is a 1 to 1 substitution. You can remove the "30 silver pennies" part of the Lord of the Ring and replace it with the "30 pieces of silver" Judas gets paid to betray Jesus and it will hold exactly the same meaning. Who is the Judas character? Who is the Christ character? You're not fooling anyone here with your constant argument that "Tolkien said this, but he really didn't mean that, he meant this you're just not looking as deep as Priya Seth looks."

I leave you with what Tolkien wrote about Zimmerman's script, because the same applies to your Priya Seth obsession:

Quote:
He may think he knows more about The Lord of the Rings than I do, but he cannot expect me to agree with him.~Letter 210