View Single Post
Old 05-14-2001, 03:55 PM   #19
Meneldil
Pile O'Bones

Meneldil has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

<font face="Verdana"><table><TR><TD><FONT SIZE="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Pile o' Bones
</TD><TD></TD></TR></TABLE>
Re: .....

Þus cwæþ Pengolodh:
<blockquote>Quote:<hr> It is also noted by Legolas in LoTR, who says that the West is in the hearts of all the Elves.<hr></blockquote>

I've been meaning to check the sources before responding, but haven't had the time to make a trip down to the library. Anyway, to clarify my initial query - I do not dispute that those of the Quendi who set out on the Great Journey initially have a latent longing for the sea and the west. My impression is, however, that the Avari do not have such a longing.

From memory, the UT says that the Silvan Elves were descended from the Teleri who lingered in the Vale of Anduin because they were daunted by the Misty Mountains. IIRC, it mentions that they were in origin those who set out on the march, and they remembered this. This would distinguish them from the Avari, who were from the beginning disinclined to go west.

Re Legolas' statement - we don't know which of the many words for Elves he used - but my guess would be that he used 'Edhil' which only applied to the Sindar and the others who entered Beleriand as opposed to 'Eledhrim' (which would include the Avari) - IIRC, /Quendi &amp; Eldar/ mentions the distinction between these usages.

</p>
Meneldil is offline   Reply With Quote