View Single Post
Old 11-04-2007, 10:22 AM   #196
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalė

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Fastarr had been following the events unfolding in the field with only a slight interest. He was mounted beside Hunta and Bergr and ready to show the Ulfing their skills in the hunt. They had been generally just scorned in the settlement this far. Now it would be their turn to show what they could do. But as Khandr came back and talked hastily to Hunta with a grave expression Fastarr started to get notice. Something was going on. He scanned the field to see what was happening. He caught a sight he was troubled with and spurred to the side of his lord after Hunta had turned around and Khandr had called for Embla.

“My lord, lord Khandr! Who was that man you talked with? For I see he is in trouble right now. Is that good or bad?”

Khandr turned to face his retainer a bit confused as he was abruptly wrought from his thoughts focusing on Embla.

“What do you mean Fastarr?” He followed Fastarr’s eyes to just see Ruadan rushing into the crowd at the middle of the glade.

“Lord Uldor just sent his dogs after that old man you talked with while you had your discussion with Hunta. I saw that orders were passed. From what I can see, there is no doubt he was sent after the gamling.”

Khandr hesitated just a second.

“Go Fastarr, Go and protect him if you can find him. It might be important indeed.”

“I’ll follow that man and let him do the finding... and I’ll stop him if he doesn’t reach the oldtimer first.”

Fastarr turned to follow Ruadan’s advancement through the crowds to estimate the path he was taking. Just as he was turning to leave he heard Khandr address him one more time, now with a more graver face.

“Bring him to my quarters... if he accepts the offer. Hugo and Grogr can hide him there if necessary... and...”, it seemed Khandr hesitated yet again. Fastarr looked at his lord with a questioning look.

“If I’m not with you as this hunt is over pay heed to what he says. There are black clouds over us... You must do what is right then.”

There was an uneasy silence between the two men. Fastarr’s head was exploding with questions. Why was his lord looking that grim and why did he spoke like he spoke? Why wouldn’t he be among them in the evening? Who was this old chap anyway? What was going on?

“Go Fastarr, go like our fate was at stake!”

“Aye sir!” Fastarr spurred his mount towards the crowd where Ruadan had vanished.

~*~

“Hugo!”, Fastarr shouted seeing the older servant emerge from between the people preparing for the hunt. Praised be the spirits! He steered towards Hugo while following Ruadan making his way through the crowd some fifty yards to his right.

“Take Leafeye and follow me from a distance!”

Hugo gave Fastarr a confused look. “Yes Fastarr, but... what on earth is...?”

“I’m on lord Khandr’s bidding and there’s no time to explain. We’re trying to protect an old man from Uldor’s brutes... Now take these and follow me!” He unmounted as he spoke and after giving the reins to Hugo he picked his staff from Leafeye’s side and ran into the crowd heading towards the direction he had counted he could meet up with Ruadan.

It seemed like the whole settlement had gathered to the field outside the town. After passing through those feverishly preparing for the hunt with their aids Fastarr faced a wall of wellwishers and curious townsfolk who had gathered just to watch the spectacle. The children were chasing each other in their games and the grannies were handing out packed meals for the hungry ones. Fastarr ran alongside the narrow path between the crowd and the preparing horsemen trying to catch again a glimpse of his target within the crowd. He was running towards the towngate.

Finally he spotted him. He spotted them both. The old man was quite near the gate advancing steadily towards it and Ruadan was some fifty yards behind him pushing his way through the lunching crowd on his right. I could just manage to get between them at the gate... He turned to wave hastily to Hugo. Fastarr ran as fast he could jumping over lunchbaskets and horsegear not so much sidestepping people coming towards him but more swinging his staff to and fro to make them dodge away.

Soon enough Hugo made it to his side coming through the preparing horsemen.

“That old man there, can you see him, the one going through the gate right now?”

Hugo confirmed he had recognised the man.

“Take him to safety to the residence. Hide him away with Grogr. Say it’s a question of his life and lord Khandr’s offer. I will stop that brute chasing him. Now go!”

After Hugo beat Leafeye to full speed Fastarr focused on outrunning Ruadan to the gate. He’s too concentrated to the gamling as not to have noticed me yet... that’s good. Now I just need to beat him there... I can make it, I can make it!

Fastarr reached the gate when Ruadan was some twenty yards away from it. Hugo and the old man had entered the gate a few moments ago. Fastarr got a glimpse of the old man turning from the first corner with Hugo trailing just behind him. Fastarr jumped quickly to aside to conceal himself into the shadows of the corner of the gate. He took a two-handed grip from his staff and hoisted it above his head. He was ready.

Last edited by Nogrod; 11-05-2007 at 03:47 PM.