Thread: Geeks?
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2005, 03:03 PM   #174
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
not all schools have AP

My school is small (less than 500 students Pre-K to 12), and they don't offer AP courses. The closest we have are actual college classes that advanced students can take. My "brother"'s only senior year requirements are Economics and Phys. Ed. Besides that, he took photography, but he only comes in for that. He goes to college classes the rest of the time. I've got credit for a freshman level Government course, and am five weeks from completion of an Economics one. They won't help me for my intended major, but as I'm going to a liberal arts college, it means that they'll be out of the way and I can fill the space with electives.

I am a nerd though. I happily admit it. I'll post for you something that I first heard my Advanced Biology teacher read three or four years ago:

Quote:
Michael Jordan will make over $300,000 a game, $10,000 a minute assuming he averages about 30 minutes a game.

Assuming $40 mil in endorsements next year, he'll be making $178,100 a day (working or not)!

Assuming he sleeps 7 hours a night, he makes $52,000 every night while
visions of sugarplums dance in his head.

If he goes to see Independence Day, it'll cost him $7.00, but he'll make $18,550 while he's there.

If he decides to have a 5 minute egg, he'll make $618 while boiling it.

He makes $7,415/hr more than minimum wage (after the wage hike)

He'll make $3,710 while watching each episode of Friends.

If he wanted to save up for a new Acura NSX ($90,000) it would take him a whole 12 days.

If someone were to hand him his salary and endorsement money, they would have to do it at the rate of $2.00 every second.

He'll probably pay around $200 for a nice round of golf, but will be 'reimbursed' $33,390 for that round.

He could take 1/100,000th of his income and buy some poor college student 5200 packages of Ramen.

Assuming he puts the federal maximum of 15% of his income into his tax deferred account (401k), he will hit the federal cap of $9500 for such accounts at 8:30 a.m. on January 1st, 1997.

If you were given a tenth of a penny for every dollar he made, you'd be living comfortably at $65,000 a year.

He'll make about $19.60 while watching the 100 meter dash in the Olympics.

He'll make about $15,600 while the Boston Marathon is being run.

While the common person is spending about $20 for a meal in his trendy Chicago restaurant, he'll pull in about $5600.

Next year, he'll make more than twice as much as all of our past presidents for all of their terms combined.

And something to cheer you up after all of this. . .

Jordan will only have to have this income for 270 more years to have a net worth equivalent to that of Bill Gates.
See? Nerds win hands down. And Lord of the Rings helps us on the path to greatness, teaching us modesty through Arwen, trust through Frodo, honor through Boromir, leadership through Aragorn, understated intelligence through Merry, faith through Sam.... must I continue? The virtues that make every person great can be learned through the reading of a novel. Who wouldn't want to?