View Single Post
Old 07-15-2013, 05:44 AM   #3
PaigeStormblood
Newly Deceased

PaigeStormblood has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Hi, could you clarify what you want. If you want true westron in the way that Sam Gamgee is really Banazìr Galbasi then it might be a struggle. I don't think there is enough "original" common speech to refer to. Though since Banazìr means halfwise and Hugo means intelligent you could perhaps use Azìr.... However if you accept that Tolkien adapted old English for westron then it should be possible to find the meaning of modern, hebrew, and old French names and give them a similar treatment. I will have a look but while I have always found name meanings qnd traditions fascinating there are folk around whose knowledge of old English is much better so you may get a better offer.

Welcome to the Downs btw.
Ahh I see thank you. Well maybe not true westron, I'm aiming for these modern names to, I guess be de-modernized. Basically I seek for the names to hold the same meanings (i.e Paige I believe means assistant) but are translated as a name that would fit better in the setting of middle earth. I.e I can't see Jake's, Joel's, Kylies etc as fitting names in middle-earth.
PaigeStormblood is offline   Reply With Quote