View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #13
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaigeStormblood View Post

Well Hugo is a mercenary of Gondorian descent. He roams far and wide in search of new jobs and opportunities to make gold.
Violet's origins are off the end of the map, in a land that is heavily themed around the Spanish culture.
Well, if Hugo's Gondorian, then I think Sindarin names are the most appropriate again, and a direct translation would be Fae, as far as I'm aware. That seems a bit weird though, and in context, Faenor would probably be better, but since that refers to such a major character already, I think that would almost probably be a sign of disrespect. So I'd keep Fae- as the beginning, but find something else to end it with. The best words I could find that seem relatively in keeping with the tone are thalion (dauntless/steadfast/strong man), maethor (warrior), callon (hero), bellas (bodily strength) or braig (wild/fierce).

I did look at Adûnaic, but I don't know how relevant that would be unless he's a Black Númenorean or connected to them in some way. The direct translation would be Manô, and so personally I'd for Manônabâr, with abâr meaning strength/endurance.

As for Violet, if you're creating a new place, I think you have relatively free reign to do what you want with the name.