View Single Post
Old 08-16-2004, 04:44 AM   #77
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
VE-02: If you both see no need for the addition of an editoroal brigde here, we will skip it.
I do not remeber the fact that we establishe Ereinion as a valid name. But that is clearly a lack of my memory. we will take Ereinion than instate of Rodnor.

VE-04: Since we changed the first Quendi to Vanyar as is suggested by the accompaying description, we should also change the second occurend in the § to Vanyar.

VE-08: Posted by Aiwendil
Quote:
I must say I'm not in favor of the LotR additions either. I would prefer to avoid taking text directly from LotR or The Hobbit. I can see more of a justification for the LT additions, since this is potentially valid material that otherwise is completely excluded and "lost". But the more I think about it the more it seems to me that the best solution for our purposes may be to leave his voyages completely ambiguous as in the '77.
Not what I whish for, but if that is what you both think must be done I am okay with it. Thus we get this:
Quote:
VE-08<*PoME After apprenticeship to Círdan, and ever with his advice and help, Eärendil built> Vingilot'{ he built}, fairest of the ships of song, the Foamflower; white were its timbers as the argent moon, golden were its oars, silver were its shrouds, its masts were crowned with jewels like stars. In the Lay of Eärendil is many a thing sung of his adventures in the deep and in lands untrodden, and in many seas and many isles. {Ungoliant in the South he slew, and her darkness was destroyed, and light came to many regions which had yet long been hid.} But Ewing sat sorrowing at home.
VE-09: Posted by Maedhros:
Quote:
I don't see the necessity of the change folk of Sirion to Lothrim.
I think, that change was an artefact of our editing concerning Gil-galad being the king while Eärednil was the Lord of the poeple at Sirions mouth. Since we solved that otherwise, there is clearly no need for that change left now.

VE-11: Posted by Mardhros:
Quote:
The addition of The Sleeper in the Tower of Pearl does not work for me.
Like Aiwendil I would also like to know if that is meant for the complety incident of the encounter with the Sleeper or only for the poem.

VE-18: Posted by Maedhros:
Quote:
I'm not at all sold on the fact that this statement can be taken that there were some Ñoldor like Galadriel who were not allowed to return West.
The bann on Galadriel is clearly part of the core cannon of texts published by JRR Tolkien himself. But the question is if we must address it here. And Aiwendil and I think we must not. We think that our text is ambigous enough to allow the bann but it we must not say there was such a thing.

VE-21: There are porbably more things to do in the second prophecy than just to change Gods to Valar put that at least we must change clearly.
Quote:
VE-21 The Second Prophecy of Mandos
Thus spake Mandos in prophecy, when the {Gods}[Valar] sat in judgement in Valinor, and the rumour of his words was whispered among all the Elves of the West. When the world is old and the Powers grow weary, then Morgoth, seeing that the guard sleepeth, shall come back through the Door of Night out of the Timeless Void; and he shall destroy the Sun and Moon. But {Eärendel} [Eärendil] shall descend upon him as a white and searing flame and drive him from the airs. Then shall the Last Battle be gathered on the fields of Valinor. In that day Tulkas shall strive with Morgoth, and on his right hand shall be Eönwë, and on his left Túrin Turambar, son of Húrin, returning from the Doom of Men at the ending of the world; and the black sword of Túrin shall deal unto Morgoth his death and final end; and so shall the children of Húrin and all Men be avenged.
Thereafter shall Earth be broken and re-made, and the Silmarils shall be recovered out of Air and Earth and Sea; for {Eärendel} [Eärendil] shall descend and surrender that flame which he hath had in keeping. Then Fëanor shall take the Three Jewels and bear them to Yavanna Kementári; and he will break them and with their fire Yavanna will rekindle the Two Trees, and a great light shall come forth. And the Mountains of Valinor shall be levelled, so that the Light shall go out over all the world.{ In that light the Gods will grow young again, and the Elves awake and all their dead arise, and the purpose of Ilúvatar be fulfilled concerning them. But of Men in that day the prophecy of Mandos doth not speak, and no Man it names, save Túrin only, and to him a place is given among the sons of the Valar.}
I removed the last two sentences because in the Manuskript JRR Tolkien marked them with an large X.

Posted by Maedhros:
Quote:
I have a question for Findegil, did you change the parragraph order as CT did in the Sil 77?
No, I did stick to the § order in Q30. I appologies that I did not mention that point. Petty Dwarfs suggestion has some wight and we should dicuss the movment of the §.
I myself would not move it. It is a bit atricifical to have the Teleri listen to Elwing and then recount her fist metting with them. But I find it even more strange to have Eärendil go on his first heavenly juorney and stir the hopes in Middle-Earth before the Host of the Valar even begins to prepare as it is in Sil77. Some other § arangements might be posible were we would aviod both, but I don't think were are going to play around with Tolkiens writtings in that way.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote