View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 11:12 PM   #24
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar View Post
This is the final chapter of the Silmarillion proper. In it, the fate of the Silmarils and the end of the Oath are told, but first of all we read about Eärendil and Elwing.

What is it about mariners?! Eärendil has the same restlessness that we read of in the UT accounts of Númenorean sailors. His pure motivation, however, makes a difference. First, though, comes another tragedy, one last Elven Kinslaying resulting from the Oath of Fëanor's sons.

Ulmo continues to be the Vala who actively helps the people of Middle-earth, saving Elwing's life, and finally the other Valar get involved. What do you think is so special about these persons and events - is it the Silmaril that causes them to act?

'Hail Eärendil, of mariners most renowned' - if I remember rightly, that echoes the Old English poem that inspired Tolkien to create his Legendarium. There is a poem version of this story in LotR - "Eärendil was a mariner" in 'Many Meetings', first chapter of Book Two. (It contains the name for the lamp: "the Flammifer of Westernesse". OT - That is, incidentally, the name of the German Tolkien Society's publication.)

Some important groundwork is laid here for the LotR - we first encounter Elrond and the choice of the Half-Elven.

Vingilot is Tolkien's mythical explanation of our Morning Star, the planet Venus. What is it about "Eärendil in the Sky with Silmaril" ( ) that gives hope to the people of Middle-earth?

Morgoth's defeat in the Great Battle is certainly cause for rejoicing, yet there is still strife, coming from the last two sons of Fëanor. What do you think would have happened if Maglor had convinced his brother to yield? Interesting to read that the Silmarils burned them, whereas the one that had remained with the other Elves did not harm anyone. I'm reminded of the recent discussion on the effect of lembas on Gollum and the Orcs - what is evil cannot stand to touch pure goodness.

Happy ending? Tolkien's footnote seems to think not - though he leaves the possibility for one in the future open. Morgoth may be captive in the Void, but evil lives on in Middle-earth.

How do you feel about the end of the story and the fate of the Silmarils?
I would say that it is very boring on Vigilot.

Earendil was able to bind the Silmaril to his brow, and he must have heard the Lore of origins of the gems and of Valinor. His plea to the West to stay the onslaught from Angband must have been much like an Emissary or family ambassador appealing to angry, estranged relatives to resolve the situation. The Silmarils were living jewels, so I suppose it is possible that they affect thinking and motivation like a Ring, but for different ends (i.e. call to their Origins - Valinor and Yavanna).

It is interesting that after the War of Wrath, Sauron's pleading to the Host involved Sauron seemingly pleading in earnest "he lied even unto himself". I do not know what power of Vanity exists that it is the case that judgers are unable to discern lies of the kind that led to Annatar.

It is interesting that the Silmarils burned the Sons of Feanor, yet Morgoth happily had them burning down upon his head (though dimmed as described). I suspect that this is an indication of rejection by the Stones (the Stones choosing who they permit) as they were living jewels, although how Maglor should be more culpable by that time than all the rest of the host is unclear. The Oath of Feanor probably has something to do with it, or perhaps some tie of the Stones to Mandos (after all, Mandos is everywhere in the Doom of the Stones).

Had the stones been released to Eonwe, then perhaps as was said in the Second Prophesy of Mandos, Yavanna could have rekindled the tress.