View Single Post
Old 01-21-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
Glirdan
Energetic Essence

Glirdan is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Glirdan
As much as I hat to argue with you Boro, I'm afraid that I must. I do agree that TTT doesn't have that emotion (sadness/crying) in it like FOTR does, but that's because the Elves weren't supposed to be there in the first place. And there really isn't anything that emotionaly in that movie except for when Haldir died. None the less, I must say that I do still get a little because he was my favorite secondary character, after Eowyn and Faramir.

In ROTK however, I must say that movie does have the emotion in it. I do agree with Mith that Théoden's death wasn't anything to cry over because of all the losses that are happening (supposed death of Eowyn and death of Denethor as well as many others). Mount Doom didn't really have that emotion for me. The reuniting of the Fellowship in Ithilien is what gets me. Probably because of all the horrors that they've all gone through and Frodo wakes up to see Gandalf who he thought was dead. The other part that gets me emotional is the parting at the Grey Havens because it's the last that they will see of Gandalf, Frodo, Bilbo, Elrond and Galadriel, all of whom you grow to love through out the series, even if you don't see them all the time.

As is the case with Eomer, Gandalf falling in Moria and the death of Boromir gets me more than the others, but that's because they spent that entire movie (and book) building their characters and then they are suddenly gone. But I wouldn't say it's because those scenes were done better. I think it's probably because of what I have stated earlier in this paragraph: the character build up and then they die. I will agree with Mith on the fact that PJ decided to concetrate more on the battlescenes in the last two movies and left all the character build up in the FOTR.

Now, I know I'm just repeating what's been said and I'm probably also being very contradictive, but I can't seem to gather my thoughts and place them in and orderly fashion, so please bear with me.